MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB dumped corrupted sql.gz file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

I have an untouched compressed MyBB MySQL backup stored on my pc, it was obtained through the Admin CP with the database backup tool (downloaded it directly to my desktop). However when I try to extract it on Linux using:

gunzip -c mybbdump.sql.gz

I get the following error message: "not in gzip format". I then did basic research on the file and discovered something odd. The supposedly compressed file contains a plain MySQL query at the very top of it; whereas the rest seems to be actual compressed data.

The plain text part:

-- MyBB Database Backup
-- Generated: 18th June 2016 at 14:12
-- -------------------------------------

CREATE TABLE `emails` (
  `username` varchar(120) CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `email` varchar(220) CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT NULL DEFAULT ''
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

Everything underneath these 8 lines is most likely compressed data.

When I try importing this file into MySQL it gives me the following error: 
Quote:ERROR at line 5: ASCII '\0' appeared in the statement, but this is not allowed unless option --binary-mode is enabled and mysql is run in non-interactive mode. Set --binary-mode to 1 if ASCII '\0' is expected. Query: ''.

Is it still possible to retrieve the data from this backup file?

Any sort of help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I have solved the issue myself, I have simply removed the plain text from the file and then attempted to decompress it again with success! (MyBB version 1.8.7)
Maybe you are lucky, last time i saw an pushed bug where backup from ACP were corrupted , half sized etc...

That occurred with big file size db, is that fixed in latest version 1.8.7 !

This one: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/2125

Quote:Note: only the archived file is corrupted and only if you download it directly.

Bug fix Status is: Open

Put a habit for backup via Cpanel or a cron job.

This might come handy: [Tutorial] Free auto database backup to dropbox script [fully automated]