MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion: Better emotional interactions in posts, beyond a "Like System".
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys.

After this post:

Quote:Is just a suggestion. Im not a coder, so, sorry if this sound like a "easy task". The respect that i have for coders and devs is beyond i have for any other profession. You guys are the future of the world.

My suggestion is only because social networks evolve in some points and discussions boards are so good that they are here since the creation of the internet, and sometimes, discussion boards get a little hanged in the past.

In a "post world" like today (facebook, twitter, and etc.), the social networks mastered the 'emotional' interactions by users and forums systems no, staying in the 'quote' system and thats it. (Well, i have to use your plugin to have this feature in my Forum and most board systems implemented the 'like' option very recently). Discussion boards don't have a proper social profile, ok, its a discussion board, but, a little of social interaction is good, won't hurt. After all, its a discussion board with PEOPLE interacting about a subject. And PEOPLE WANT TO EXPRESS THEIR FEELINGS.

I can pay for a feature like this and i know MANY PEOPLE would pay a fair price too, just like in this thread, look so many people requesting this. For exemple: Like/Dislike - Dont Like This - Happy With This - Sad With This - Angry About This... Something like this. You can even sell this like a 'premium feature' and i would be happy to pay you.

I don't know if is a feature planned for MyBB 2.0, but, i think is essential for a Forum Business.

I rest my case now. Now i'm creating a Thread for suggesting this in 2.0.

Thanks for the reply.

Im feeling that i have the obligation for creating a Thread for suggesting this for 2.0.

2.0 is better in so many ways... And why not improve a little more?

Like i said: Discussion boards are here since the creation of the internet. Social networks are fighting for survive and Forums still here, good and solid. But, it's not because of this that Forums are perfect. We need to learn where the 'enemy' success and learn by they mistakes. We need a little more social interaction by the users.

Social/Emotional interactions are mastered in social networks  (Liking, RT in twitter, Disliking, etc.). Forums still in the same 'quoting' thing and sometimes we need to evolve a bit. The "Like" system is so recent in Forum Systems (and in MyBB we need to use a very good plugin for using this 'simple' feature) Forums need more social/people interaction. People are people and people want to express they emotions. I know forums are not a social network, but, is a discussion made by people. Forums need just a little social/emotional interactions. Its great for everybody.

I think we need to go beyond the "Like System". We need to use a more complete system, for example:

- Like This/Dislike
- I Dont Like This
- Im Angry About This
- Im Happy About This
- Im Sad About This

Well, is just a exemple, but, its serve for explaining.

The Admin can turn on/off the options, put some restrictions by groups.

Why?

No other discussion board system have any kind of feature like this. They are still in the "Like System" and that's it.

If the devs from MyBB implemented this in 2.0, MyBB will skyrocket!! Im sure of that, why? Because is one of the most requests in this forums. That's it.

Thanks for the opportunity.
IMO: People I know that use boards to write and read and discuss issues. If they like something or are angry about something, they write a reply and a forum depends on posts. If you give everybody a button for every feeling he wants to express, you will get threads with at most 3 answers and 1000 likes/sads/angrys/etc. And your board will be dead soon. Wink

So I say: better as a plugin.
(2016-06-19, 10:25 PM)Amaryllion Wrote: [ -> ]IMO: People I know that use boards to write and read and discuss issues. If they like something or are angry about something, they write a reply and a forum depends on posts. If you give everybody a button for every feeling he wants to express, you will get threads with at most 3 answers and 1000 likes/sads/angrys/etc.  And your board will be dead soon. Wink

So I say: better as a plugin.

You have a point. In the other hand, people who use forums are more active than in social networks.

One time, i read a very interesting research about this. In social networks people dont go deep in discussions. They just use emotional buttons like you said, but in a Forum... Mostly users use for posting and interacting.

Well, the Admin can turn on/off the options.

I may agree with you in the other 'emotional' buttons, but a "I Don't like This" Button would be a nice feature. And the Admin can turn off...
Another point for accepting this suggestion:

The Forum Admin Zone uses Xenforo system. 

And Xenforo have a support for more 'emotional expressions', and they are doing great with posting and interacting and stuff. Another Xenforo Forums use the same system.

I really don't believe that if we adapt some emotional interaction users are going to stop posting. Posting is part of a forum system. Emotional interaction is just a plus.

And we can turn on/off the options in ACP if the Admin wants.

Im betting that if you guys implement the "I Don't Like This" (not the undo like) almost every Forum with MyBB will use.

Facebook don't put because his ideological/political opinions. Trust me on this. Is a major request in every social network.

And... That can be disabled Smile
I really like the idea, never thought about posting it here. I personally would love to see this. Smile
I personally think the like system is a ton of crap and that the rep system is better and more flexible in this regard.