MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Optional Democracy System (Admin / Developer / Staff)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Alle!
Well, I think it'd be a great enhancement for MyBB 2.0 to have a democracy system for staff promotions, will be explained further more.

The owner of a/the board will have the ability to activate and deactivate a democracy system (It's pretty much self-explanatory). How would this be useful, you may ask?
  1. It'd help when it comes to knowing the community's opinions of who should be promoted to staff and who should be demoted, and pretty much explains that is the member's attitude either as a member or a staff member.
  2. There wouldn't really be "considered" abuse as that if it's abuse, it'll turn out on the community because the community is the one who chose that staff member, so there would be no one to blame which will keep the members rather than them blaming someone and leaving because of that person.
  3. Will make the admin's job of finding staff members easier since staff members aren't that easily chosen; because the community sees of a staff member more than what an admin can see.
  4. It'd overall give the chance to those who really want to contribute and volunteer their time for the forum to have the ability they wanted to help the forum with.

How would it work?
Well, every 3 months or 2 months (depending on the owner's choice, but it cant be less than 1 month), a thread or whatever a plugin uses for users to submit will be open for various applications, and users will have the ability to vote for whoever they want (Only people who enter their name to participate will the only ones that are able to be voted for). And simply, the Owner can set when are the votes closed. After the votes are closed, the system automatically chooses the most 3 voted-for members, and another poll is made to decide the final decisions, after 3 days passing the system calculates the 3 members to be in positions 1, 2 and 3, position 1 is the winner (the becoming staff member), and 2 - 3 get something as an extra but they don't become staff, something maybe like a (temp) award or reputation.
After X amount of time passes, another poll thread is open for the positions the owner specifies (I forgot to mention this), and a new candidate is chosen using the same system, and a staff member who got in via this system cannot be a candidate in 2 polls in a row, so they have to at least leave before they can volunteer again if they win.

Please let me know what you guys think about this.
I would never do this on my board. The forum leadership should take charge and responsibility for finding and appointing competent people to administrate / moderate. You can take into consideration what people say, but by no means will that dictate my decision to appoint someone.
I agreee with Ashley1.

Plus: The admin who owns board and webspace is responsible for everything. It seems like a horrendous idea to me that a group decides about things that another has to account for.
This is better suited as a plugin. IMO I don't think it will make the core as I can't see other team members accepting this.
It is an interesting idea... but I don't think it'd be good for a core feature. I don't even think you'd really need a plugin to accomplish this either. (Make a new topic asking for nominations, people nominate then another topic for the votes. And for demotions... A board where members can view only their own posts. They can vote through it. That way only select staff, like the admin, can see it.)

I think that not many boards would really use this idea anyway because it's prone to abuse and largely just reeks of favouritism . (Members voting up favourites even if they're not a good fit or even interested.)
(2016-06-21, 12:21 PM)Ben C Wrote: [ -> ]This is better suited as a plugin. IMO I don't think it will make the core as I can't see other team members accepting this.

Pretty much, this.
(2016-06-21, 10:18 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I would never do this on my board. The forum leadership should take charge and responsibility for finding and appointing competent people to administrate / moderate. You can take into consideration what people say, but by no means will that dictate my decision to appoint someone.

(2016-06-21, 12:08 PM)Amaryllion Wrote: [ -> ]I agreee with Ashley1.

Plus: The admin who owns board and webspace is responsible for everything. It seems like a horrendous idea to me that a group decides about things that another has to account for.

It's because not all forum owners are open/free for every member of the community enough to determine who deserves the position more. This idea was only considered for moderator promotion e.g. the one who gets promoted through this system only has limited tools. It's because the community can pretty much see from that specific user much more than what the owner/admin of that board can see.
This as Ben said could be more of a plugin than an official tool for MyBB 2.0, it'd also be helpful for RPG-based boards.
You technically wouldn't even need a plugin to do this because you could very easily just make a thread for people to vote through a poll and hide the results or only allow the users to see their own thread (vote). Even on large boards it could take all of five minutes to count the votes.