MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unwanted registrations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

MikeInToshx

(2016-06-23, 02:25 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Changing the security question is not going to make a difference. These are spammers not automated processes creating these accounts. I also used to get a bit of these type of registrations when my forum was new, less to none now. The one thing i noticed was that the text "Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2016 MyBB Group." was being searched for. To me the only person clicking through on that search is a potential spammer. I see less of it now, probably due to the fact that i have more unique content now.

The powered by MyBB is in Dutch aswell, if that helps..

Well, I looked at the questions and the Dutch question I had, all the answers failed, and the 2+2 was always correct..
Removed the 2+2 question and adding more Dutch questions now.  

(2016-06-23, 02:28 PM)BaggerHD Wrote: [ -> ]Try using question that only dutch people should know the answer to (guess you just want dutch ppl as members), so question like "What is the last name of the prime minister in NL", but then writhe it in dutch (wat is de naam van de nederlandse minister president?
And make some more in dutch..

Yes, working on more Dutch questions. Gatta be something simple though, not everyone knows his last name, lol.

Thanks for thinking of solutions with me, guys.
Agree with BaggerHD, I use questions that are simple but only the stupidest of scammers wouldn't know. (Trust me some egys.... ugh....) anyhow, like BaggerHD said with the dutch question, the same would apply to general knowledge of a specific country. I.e. What animal is on the Australian 20c coin etc etc. Is there a mod to delete accs awaiting approval for a certain period?

P.s. this is why mine says Inspired by MyBB (until I implement an image)

MikeInToshx

Since I made the Dutch questions I have had no attempted bot registrations.
Whatever works I guess. I was more asking for the English speaking ppls (like myself xD) :p
Out of interest, what do the spammers hope to achieve by registering? Are they just going to flood us with spam posts, or is it something more?
(2016-06-29, 09:14 AM)Wiggo Wrote: [ -> ]Out of interest, what do the spammers hope to achieve by registering? Are they just going to flood us with spam posts, or is it something more?

The majority of them post spam posts, some of them do nothing.
Seems kind of futile doesn't it? I mean maybe if a spammer would bother to make an email address before attempting to spam post, it wouldn't seem so pointless.
Pages: 1 2