MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unwanted registrations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

MikeInToshx

How do I get rid of unwanted registrations? They get trough the registration, but they are not activated.

Ive had few account registrations today from Ukraine...
http://whois.domaintools.com/91.200.12.136

My forum is in dutch.. 

Could I block out contries or something? Or how do I solve this.

Cheers.
How many registrations do you have per day? If it's not a lot, set the registration method to Administrator activation in ACP.

MikeInToshx

Had about 3 of those today. Setting registration to manual activation isn't a solution I'm afraid. That's just avoiding the problem and not fighting it. I don't want to manually activate every new member.
Just ban the IP, delete the acc awaiting activation and continue on with your life. Use spam purging as well
Are you using recaptcha?
Email verification does help to some extent
(2016-06-23, 12:53 PM)izakgewdrick Wrote: [ -> ]Email verification does help to some extent

But you will then have a lot of unactivated users which the OP had an issue with.

MikeInToshx

There is a captcha and a security question to register, and then email verfification, which they dont do, thankfully. Just had another one.

Maybe ill try to up the security question, its a standard 2+2= ...
Changing the security question is not going to make a difference. These are spammers not automated processes creating these accounts. I also used to get a bit of these type of registrations when my forum was new, less to none now. The one thing i noticed was that the text "Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2016 MyBB Group." was being searched for. To me the only person clicking through on that search is a potential spammer. I see less of it now, probably due to the fact that i have more unique content now.
Try using question that only dutch people should know the answer to (guess you just want dutch ppl as members), so question like "What is the last name of the prime minister in NL", but then writhe it in dutch (wat is de naam van de nederlandse minister president?
Gauda is een soort er van, vaak geel van kleur, wat is het?
De beste schaatser heet met zijn achternaam?
And make some more in dutch..
Pages: 1 2