MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Update on mail issue.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So to trouble shoot, my web host's technical support logged in and changed the email address for the account I gave them for a "testuser002", to an email address of that technical support member's.

He was then able to send an email to himself through MyBB.

I then logged in, and was able to send an email from testuser002, to both "admin" and "nuraman00" (different email addresses).

However, when I send from "admin" to "nuraman00" I get message not accepted due to policy reasons.

When I send from "nuraman00" to "admin", I get "This message failed DMARC Evaluation and is being
refused due to the policy provided by the From domain."

I also can't send from nuraman00 to nuraman00 nor admin to admin.

Is it possible to set the "from" as my web host email address account, and a reply-to as the user's email address?
Bump?
Mail Settings has provision for admin mail & return mail.

if you have to modify from field value then this topic might help
Is that used for PHP mail too?

I went to class_mailhandler.php, and the function set_common_headers, and I changed it to this:

$this->headers .= "From: [email protected]";

Where [email protected] represents the hardcoded email address I entered.

However, nothing changed when I sent an email from nuraman00 to nuraman00. The from address was the same as before.

Also, is the reply-to going to properly be set?

So, after making that change above, I noticed that the FROM now has 2 headers when I send private messages.

It has a from, and it has a reply-to.

However, I don't think that function above is called when sending user to user emails, as nothing is changed then. As I said in the post above, the from address is the same as it was before, when sending user to user emails.
Any more suggestions I can try?

Thank you.
Bump?
I tried using firePHP to see the call stack for when I send a user to user email. I was hoping to see what functions were being called, so I could see how it gets the from email address, and hopefully how to set the reply-to.

But I wasn't able to find what I was looking for. Is it happening too fast?

Am I not using the right tool?

Do I have to put a print statement to see something in the console?
Ok, here's what I've been able to find:

Line 2706 in member.php  seems to indicate that this is for user to user emails.

if($mybb->input['action'] == "do_emailuser" && $mybb->request_method == "post")

In member.php, lines 2799 - 2852, seems to build the mail parameters.

if($mybb->user['uid'])
	{
		$mybb->input['fromemail'] = $mybb->user['email'];
		$mybb->input['fromname'] = $mybb->user['username'];
	}

if(!validate_email_format($mybb->input['fromemail']))
	{
		$errors[] = $lang->error_invalidfromemail;
	}

if(empty($mybb->input['fromname']))
	{
		$errors[] = $lang->error_noname;
	}

if(empty($mybb->input['subject']))
	{
		$errors[] = $lang->error_no_email_subject;
	}

if(empty($mybb->input['message']))
	{
		$errors[] = $lang->error_no_email_message;
	}

if($mybb->settings['captchaimage'] && $mybb->user['uid'] == 0)
	{
		require_once MYBB_ROOT.'inc/class_captcha.php';
		$captcha = new captcha;

if($captcha->validate_captcha() == false)
		{
			// CAPTCHA validation failed
			foreach($captcha->get_errors() as $error)
			{
				$errors[] = $error;
			}
		}
	}

if(count($errors) == 0)
	{
		if($mybb->settings['mail_handler'] == 'smtp')
		{
			$from = $mybb->input['fromemail'];
		}
		else
		{
			$from = "{$mybb->input['fromname']} <{$mybb->input['fromemail']}>";
		}

$message = $lang->sprintf($lang->email_emailuser, $to_user['username'], $mybb->input['fromname'], $mybb->settings['bbname'], $mybb->settings['bburl'], $mybb->get_input('message'));
		my_mail($to_user['email'], $mybb->get_input('subject'), $message, $from, "", "", false, "text", "", $mybb->input['fromemail']);

This block calls the function my_mail, which is in functions.php:

function my_mail($to, $subject, $message, $from="", $charset="", $headers="", $keep_alive=false, $format="text", $message_text="", $return_email="")
{
    global $mybb;
    static $mail;

// Does our object not exist? Create it
    if(!is_object($mail))
    {
        require_once MYBB_ROOT."inc/class_mailhandler.php";

{
            require_once MYBB_ROOT."inc/mailhandlers/smtp.php";
            $mail = new SmtpMail();
        }
        else
        {
            require_once MYBB_ROOT."inc/mailhandlers/php.php";
            $mail = new PhpMail();
        }
    }

// Using SMTP based mail
    {
        if($keep_alive == true)
        {
            $mail->keep_alive = true;
        }
    }

// Using PHP based mail()
    else
    {
        if($mybb->settings['mail_parameters'] != '')
        {
            $mail->additional_parameters = $mybb->settings['mail_parameters'];
        }
    }

// Build and send
    $mail->build_message($to, $subject, $message, $from, $charset, $headers, $format, $message_text, $return_email);
    return $mail->send();

If I look back at the my_mail function call from member.php:

my_mail($to_user['email'], $mybb->get_input('subject'), $message, $from, "", "", false, "text", "", $mybb->input['fromemail']);

The return email is being sent as the from email address from the $mybb->input['fromemail'] variable. 

So what if I take this block right above it:

else
 {
 $from = "{$mybb->input['fromname']} <{$mybb->input['fromemail']}>";
 }

And hardcode the variable $from variable to my web host email address?

Would that be a good / safe way to make the user to user emails work for all emails?
The problem I was having was sending yahoo to yahoo; yahoo to aol; aol to yahoo; and aol to aol.  I was getting those DMARC errors described in the OP.

I tried the change above, hard coding my server email address in that else block from member.php. 

I spent several more hours testing various things.

* I still could not send to AOL email addresses.

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

521 5.2.1

Host was not accepting delivery.

* I could, however, now send to Yahoo ones.

I was able to send PMs to aol email addresses.  That always worked.

And if I called the PHP mail function directly, instead of the my_mail() function in functions.php, I could also still send to aol email addresses.

The problem came as soon as I added a reply-to when sending to an AOL email address.

I then spent several hours testing branching logic I added in class_mailhandler.php, in the build_message() function, and set_common_headers() function.

I was only setting the return_email in build_message(), or the "Return-Path" and "Reply-To:" in set_common_headers, if the to email address wasn't an aol.com one.

I had several echo statements testing it.  For some reason, the logic would be fine through build_message(), but the return_email in set_common_headers in the "if($this->return_email)" branch was still referring to my web host email address.  Even though in build_message, it was being set to blank, and echo statements confirmed that.

Finally, I decided to go back to member.php, and call the native PHP mail function if it was an aol email address.

Also, for aol addresses, I put the "from" email address directly after "From:", and the MyBB username in "<>" brackets.

This is now my logic, from line 2846:

++++++++++++++++

else
        {
            //$from = "{$mybb->input['fromname']} <{$mybb->input['fromemail']}>";   ** original code **

// BEGIN CHANGE
            // if sending to aol email address, keep original from email address.  Don't pass a reply-to email address.
            if (stripos($to_user['email'], "@aol.com") !== FALSE)
            {
                $from = "From: {$mybb->input['fromemail']} <{$mybb->input['fromname']}>";
                $mybb->input['fromemail'] = "";    

}

// keep sender in user to user email as reply-to during my_mail call below.  But change the from to the web host email address.            
            else
            {
                $from = 'WEB HOST EMAIL ADDRESS';
            }

}

$message = $lang->sprintf($lang->email_emailuser, $to_user['username'], $mybb->input['fromname'], $mybb->settings['bbname'], $mybb->settings['bburl'], $mybb->get_input('message'));

// call native PHP mail instead of custom my_mail function for aol
        if (stripos($to_user['email'], "@aol.com") !== FALSE)
        {
            mail($to_user['email'], $mybb->get_input('subject'), $message, $from);
        }

else
        {        
        }

// END CHANGE

+++++++++++++++++++++

This meant I didn't have to have branching logic in 3 places in class_mailhandler.php  (build_message(), set_common_headers().

Now, I can send from yahoo to aol; yahoo to yahoo (own self too); aol to aol; aol to yahoo.

I checked the reply-to to make sure they were coming up properly when I hit those buttons on the email client.

The only thing I can't do is send aol to aol if the user is emailing himself, that still gives this same error:

++++++++++++

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

521 5.2.1 :

+++++++++++++++

But I think that's fine, it's not much of a limitation to a user if he can't email himself using MyBB from an aol email address.  He can always email himself using his own mail client.