MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I have four forums on one FTP site. One of the forums is already installed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's in /public_html/forum/ .  Now, I have the other three sites to install on the server.  Where should I install these without overwriting that other forum's software?  BTW, I also have the directory /www/ and the /public_html/ .

I did this years ago but can't remember how to do it.  Lol.  For example, say my main website is called abc123.com.  Again, that's in the /public_html/forum/ folder. Now I need to install another site called, say, xyz098.com on the same FTP server.  Where would I install that as not to overwrite the other server?  So, should I setup another directory somewhere and call it xyz098.com?

Hope I've made myself clear.  TIA.
Do the different forums operate on their own domains? You should ask your host for help with this - configuration of multiple domains. You would normally create a new folder under public_html for each domain.
(2016-06-29, 06:20 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Do the different forums operate on their own domains? You should ask your host for help with this - configuration of multiple domains. You would normally create a new folder under public_html for each domain.

I thought it was something like that.

And yes they do operate on their own domains.

I'd ask my host but he's on vacation or something - which he needs.

So would I name the folder, say for the domain www.xyz098.com , xyz098 in the public_html folder?

Ashley, I just want to make sure because of something that happened one time. Lol.
I also run multiple domains on my hosting package, but i would imagine each host would have their own configuration ways. For me, I have to create a folder named after the multiple domain (without the http://www.) and that goes under the public_html directory. Whatever you do, don't overwrite anything, I am sure that's not necessary.
(2016-06-29, 06:43 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I also run multiple domains on my hosting package, but i would imagine each host would have their own configuration ways. For me, I have to create a folder named after the multiple domain (without the http://www.) and that goes under the public_html directory. Whatever you do, don't overwrite anything, I am sure that's not necessary.

Thanks. I'll try it and get back to the thread.

I'm uploading it right now to /public_html/thewebsite/forum
Are you running on a shared host or a VPS? If a VPS I'd suggest using Nginx configuration files to point to different folders for different domains.
(2016-06-29, 07:38 PM)Paradigm Wrote: [ -> ]Are you running on a shared host or a VPS? If a VPS I'd suggest using Nginx configuration files to point to different folders for different domains.

Well, lol, the host has other clients. What's VPS? And I did reconfigure the permissions once the files were on the server.

Here are the paths I used - it didn't work on one of them.

/public_html/BlackjackSolutions/forum/

www/public_html/BlackjackSolutions/forum/

My browser was set to:

BlackjackSolutions/forum/install

and:

www.BlackjackSolutions/forum/install

Nothing.

ETA: I'll be back in 20 minutes. Client just called.

I am back. Of course I fixed it quickly.
(2016-06-29, 07:48 PM)BigJerr Wrote: [ -> ]My browser was set to:
and:
Nothing.

Hi there BigJerr!

Just to confirm, your domain wouldn't be:

You would need something like .com, .co.uk, etc.

So:

www.BlackjackSolutions.com/forum/install as an example, which gives me a 404 of file not found.
I knew that.  I misspelled it.  Anyway, I tried it again and it still didn't go.  BTW, just to make sure the install folder only has the upgrade.php file.  Isn't there supposed to be in addition to the install folder and install.php?  Or something like that?

TIA.

(2016-07-01, 03:26 PM)katos Wrote: [ -> ]
and:
Nothing.

Hi there BigJerr!

So:

www.BlackjackSolutions.com/forum/install as an example, which gives me a 404 of file not found.

Just used this one http://blackjacksolutions.com/forum/install  Still didn't work.  I did change the permission settings.

(2016-07-05, 08:55 PM)BigJerr Wrote: [ -> ]I knew that.  I misspelled it.  Anyway, I tried it again and it still didn't go.  BTW, just to make sure the install folder only has the upgrade.php file.  Isn't there supposed to be in addition to the install folder and install.php?  Or something like that?

TIA.

(2016-07-01, 03:26 PM)katos Wrote: [ -> ]
and:
Nothing.

Hi there BigJerr!

So:

Just used this one http://blackjacksolutions.com/forum/install  Still didn't work.  I did change the permission settings.

I also did try it with the www.

Again, the files are in /public_html/BlackjackSolutions/forum/ On the FTP.
I have it almost fixed.
Pages: 1 2