MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: can I use the Merge function with this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to configure a local test forum and it must be the same one as I have live.
I tried numerous things but I cannot make it work.

I know the merge function can merge multiple different vendor systems in Mybb but can it also be used  to merge a basic, just installed working local test forum and the live one? What I want is to make the local test forum the same as the Live one.
You could, but not sure why you would; if you just use a database backup of your live forum on your test forum, they will be the same.
Hello Matt,

That's because I can't get my test forum to work. When I have installed the forum everything is ok, but it is empty obviously, Then I paste the live database, Everything will work then (after changing the config file off course) except when I click on a forum, doesn't matter which, I get a 404 error.
That sounds like a different issue then; where is the test version hosted? Locally on your computer?
board url & cookie settings should be also changed for the local forum

first you change the settings in ~/inc/settings.php file and then
at Site Details page of Configuration section in forum admin panel

more details => faq: login
see also cookie related guidance
Thanks for the time taken to reply to me! It is always taken for "normal", so I wanted to say that.

Everything with the settings is 100% fine.
It is indeed a local Forum.

This is the setup:
Mybb 1.8 on synology
MariaDB Synology
PHPmyAdmin Synology
Webserver Synology

Installation of Mybb goes ok.
When all is finished I copy te Live forum contents to the Test forum.
I create a new database in Phpmyadmin with same name, adding the same user with password
Then Import the last live forum backup to the test phpmyadmin
Change config file and cookie settings. (important to notice; before backing up live forum, disabled all of the plugins first, also tried with plugins enabled.)

I can acces the page, page is the same as te live one.
I can succesfully login, accept cookies, cookies are saved.
Also, can succesfully edit the ACP in every way.

But the problem returns when I click on one of my forums, doesn't matter which one: 404; page not found

p.s. Also removed the settings file, it is indeed regenerated automatically, but it doesn't solve the issue
What's the URL it sends you to when you get the 404?
I have found the problem! It was with the .HTaccess file which gave me the problem. That was given me the 404 error. That was hard to find! (Because i am a newbie)
Thanks for the reply's.
Ah, that's the theory I was running with, but glad you figured it out Smile