MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ability to report private messages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2016-07-09, 12:43 AM)VirusZero Wrote: [ -> ]The whole name "private message" is a misnomer anyway. They aren't private and really never were. Anyone with database access can view them. Now that said for MyBB 2.0, if memory serves, the name private message is bring dropped anyway to be replaced with a conversations system/setup. So hopefully that whole privacy thing will be clearer.

Correct -- they're being referred to as "Messages" and "Conversations." The word "private" or even "personal" is never used. (I've been thinking recently perhaps we should call them "Direct Messages" but that's a different debate...)

That said, I think being able to report individual messages and have moderators see the contents of reported messages is an important feature that should be included.
(2016-07-09, 04:29 PM)Justin S. Wrote: [ -> ]I think being able to report individual messages and have moderators see the contents of reported messages is an important feature that should be included.

While I certainly agree with you that the feature is a vital one, I think that "can view reported PMs" vs. viewing reported posts should each be their own permission. Personally for me, I have always seen PM system abuse as something that should be handled by an administrator, though I know every board is different in the way that they do things
I think what would be helpful is reporting a pm in a conversation makes the whole conversation viewable in case more than one pm in that conversation needs attention.
@dragonexpert

I think that's a reasonable compromise. Displaying a specific conversation would at least allow admins/moderators to have some amount of context with relation to the PM reported, which might help with making decisions about subjective violations/offenses.
(2016-07-09, 09:21 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]I think what would be helpful is reporting a pm in a conversation makes the whole conversation viewable in case more than one pm in that conversation needs attention.

It that case it would be suitable to:
  • inform the reporting user that the whole conversation will be visible,
  • add a message on the conversation page that it has been reported, visible to all participants;
it could be also optional to include a single message instead.
Hi,

Your feature suggestion has been accepted as a planned feature to be implemented in MyBB 2.0. Thanks for your contribution!
Pages: 1 2