MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Inifnite scroll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but maybe have an option for infinite scrolling (or maybe hybrid scrolling) would be a good thing.

And this is my idea for a hybrid system, have the pagination float at the top of the page (once you go to scroll past it), when you scroll down it will keep loading content while at the same time changing the page numbers, and since it is floating you can always access it. It would be win-win, you have the people that want to keep scrolling and reading, and then if you want to skip to page 12, you just hit the pagination button. You also wouldn't have to scroll to the top or bottom if you want to skip a page. This would be for posts and topics.

Example for topics and posts (doesn't have to float at the top, but maybe a sidebar, like Flarum or Discourse):
[Image: N3Zowyf.png]
I'd find that scroll bar at the top to be quite annoying. discourse has theirs scroll on the right side so you can jump to whatever post you want to, but theirs is for posts only, iirc.
(2016-07-06, 09:58 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd find that scroll bar at the top to be quite annoying.  discourse has theirs scroll on the right side so you can jump to whatever post you want to, but theirs is for posts only, iirc.

It's the same with Flarum. I would prefer it on the sides myself. Maybe an ACP setting that shows when infinite scroll is enabled. Where you can set the bar to top, bottom, left or right? :-)
Maybe a better idea is just let someone view the entire thread (a button for that ya know?)

I don't really like it the way Discourse does it, but not having to do the pages would be nice. Being able to view all posts at once or perhaps all the posts between a certain number pages or by a certain user(s) would be nice though.
(2016-07-06, 09:58 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd find that scroll bar at the top to be quite annoying.  discourse has theirs scroll on the right side so you can jump to whatever post you want to, but theirs is for posts only, iirc.

Well it was just an example for having the floating bar, it could be placed anywhere. It would just be nice to be able to access all the pages without refreshing. I also meant this for posts too.

(2016-07-06, 10:32 PM)katos Wrote: [ -> ]It's the same with Flarum. I would prefer it on the sides myself. Maybe an ACP setting that shows when infinite scroll is enabled. Where you can set the bar to top, bottom, left or right? :-)

My way was just an example, it could be placed anywhere. I do like the Flarum/Discourse way, the only thing I would change is maybe add a "go to post" box (which you can type in a post number). I think this way would actually be better than the page idea in my first post.

(2016-07-08, 02:34 AM)Ircher Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe a better idea is just let someone view the entire thread (a button for that ya know?)

I don't really like it the way Discourse does it, but not having to do the pages would be nice. Being able to view all posts at once or perhaps all the posts between a certain number pages or by a certain user(s) would be nice though.

Having a load all button would be a waste of resources (It would also put unneeded load on the server).