MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Internal Notes... everywhere!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Administrator notes is a great little thing, but it is... limited. A good space for ideas, quick notes... but what about when you want to dive deeper in to the forum, and when it is shared between multiple people? It's much more difficult to keep track of changes.

On all sections of MyBB, there should be an internal notes box which is shared between everyone that has permissions for that item. A great implementation of internal notes can be found on the osTicket support system script.

For example:
An internal note under the forum name and description in the forum management list
For groups
For each template (yes I know you could comment out)
The logs
Language files so you can track changes

The idea in general is to allow for notes to be made where it would otherwise be inconvenient to write those internal changes in a public description field or on the notes pad on the front page of the Admin CP.
Just me? Sad
No, not just you - but I suspect unlikely to be a core feature.
I think it's a great idea and would personally use it often.
Actually, this is fairly trivial to implement (not the visual aspect, but the code behind it I'm talking about) using polymorphic relations and a Trait that could be assigned to models. It would be fairly handy in a lot of cases, but the interface would need to be thought about.
I am glad some people agree! For example at the moment I have to make notes of edits (for me comments don't work 90% of the time??) I make to templates in a notes template I created myself; when editing multiple templates this method soon clogs up, for example!

Unfortunately my knowledge of programming is limited so even linking that doesn't do justice to me I'm afraid - sounds like difficult work but the finished product... WOW.
Whilst I agree with the idea in principle, I wouldn't necessarily say *everywhere* - I would think that that would be a bit excessive.

However, on the basis of principle, I would have to agree.
There should however be the option to hide the notes, should users / mods / admins wish to do so.
(2016-08-04, 07:06 PM)groovybluedog Wrote: [ -> ]I am glad some people agree! For example at the moment I have to make notes of edits (for me comments don't work 90% of the time??) I make to templates in a notes template I created myself; when editing multiple templates this method soon clogs up, for example!

Unfortunately my knowledge of programming is limited so even linking that doesn't do justice to me I'm afraid - sounds like difficult work but the finished product... WOW.

FWIW I don't see this being great for documentation but notes for admins on what different usergroups are for and such. For what you're describing, I feel like you should leave comments in the code or keep an external document. If comments "don't work" for you, you must be writing them wrong, surely?

IMO I imagine the notes as being useful internal documentation for groups that manage a board together.
They can be useful anywhere. Even in general configuration settings or other areas where there isn't a description field. Including in places like forums to keep tabs on changes between staff, for example - of course in that case the description field is public unlike, say, Thread/Post tools.
I guess, but I think the functionality needs limitations or it becomes sprawling. Leaving important notes in certain areas would be useful. But I wouldn't use it to organize serious documentation.
Pages: 1 2