MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sitemap.xml Not Accessible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good day to you!,

Does anybody know why my sitemap.xml cannot be found by Google?

The URL is http://hetcomputerforum/sitemap.xml

I also cannot access it when I paste the URL in the browser.

I deactivated and uninstalled ALL my plugins, nothing works.
Also change right on the file to 777 in FileZilla. (only sitemap.xml file)

Thanks in advance.
which sitemap plugin / sitemap service you are using ?
I am using sitemap engine, MySEo and GoogleSeo
uninstall sitemap engine and use sitemap by Google SEO plugin [forumURL/sitemap-index.xml]
I uninstalled Sitemap engine, configured Google SEO to make my sitemap.
Changed back to sitemap-index.xml.
But the sitemap is not created, need I create it for him? also checked the tasks, maybe theres a task I can manually run to create the xml but it isn't.

Btw. also added the line to .htaccess to change it back to sitemap-index.xml instead of sitemap.xml
required sitemaps will be generated when Google bot crawls your forum.
can i create it myself for the plugin? then I can check if it is accessible again?
If I do that will the plugin change the file I created or will it error because there is already a sitemap with the same name?

Which path is GoogleSEO using for the sitemap-index.xml btw? is it the root?

Edit2: Google crawled my forum, no sitemap is generated, also changed my robots.txt to the one with the Google SEO plugin, also no generated sitemap.

Can somebody help me?
Google SEO does not create a physical file you can see via FTP; it's dynamic, only accessible through HTTP (you can see it with your web browser, not with your ftp client). Just like MyBB does not create an actual file for each thread you post. You can see threads only in your browser, not as individual files. It's the same principle.

A file would be outdated the moment it is written; the dynamic sitemap is always up-to-date.

As for your site if this is it (.nl) then there seems to be something wrong with your rewrite rule for the sitemap.

This works:

http://hetcomputerforum.nl/misc.php?goog...emap=index

But the main sitemap-index.xml somehow doesn't... if you created a file with this name, remove it.
I did not created the file because I did not now if it could be a problem.
thanks for your explanation!
I delete every rewrite rule were it says Sitemap.
then went to the plugin and copy paste it back to the htaccess what the plugin told me to add.

are there any disadvantages when I remove the sitemap-index from google seo plugin so It will use the link which is working?

It took a few hours but I am glad the problem is solved.
Thanks for the support .M and Frostschutz!
You put me in the right direction to understand.

It was a rewrite rule in .htaccess from the previous forum who gave the problem.

Now I now that the google seo plugin will tell me what is missing and has to be added to the .htaccess file, but is not telling me what to delete from it. (Yes, I know, this is the work of the webmaster and not for the plugin to blame, but it is handy information I need to know to find a problem)

Thanks!