MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Subscribing to entire forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way for users to subscribe to everything that's posted in a forum?

My client wants to have all their members emailed when anything is posted anywhere in a forum. Is this possible?

Yes, I know you can subscribe to individual threads. However when a new thread is made, how would their members know about it without going to the forum and seeing it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
I think members should have the choice of this. If they keep getting emails they'll be annoyed. I know from personal experience.

But you can subscribe to a forum itself rather then a thread.

Quote:To subscribe to a forum:

1. Navigate to the forum you wish to subscribe to.
2. Click the 'Subscribe to this forum' link at the bottom of the list of threads in that forum.
Normally I would agree with you that it would annoy people.

However in this case the problem is that these users get tired of checking the board they're using now and finding nothing new there. As a result, they find it worthless, never post anything and can't figure out why the forum is failing. Rolleyes

My job is to help them build an online community for their industry. It will have posts related to their industry such as meetings, technical questions/info, etc. So it's important to them that everyone is emailed when a post is made.

Thanks for pointing out they can subscribe to a forum and not just a thread. The link was staring me in the face but I didn't see it.Wink
Just a note, the forum subscriptions only notify subscribers of new threads, but not new replies to threads in the forums
Actually it does send new replies as I received an email about yours.

However, you have to visit the board again or it won't send you the next new reply to the thread via email.

The way this works is actually stated in the email you receive ...
" There may also be other replies to this thread but you will not receive anymore notifications until you visit the board again."
That's because you probably have a thread subscription for this thread.
DennisTT Wrote:Just a note, the forum subscriptions only notify subscribers of new threads, but not new replies to threads in the forums

DennisTT Wrote:That's because you probably have a thread subscription for this thread.

Thanks for this info. I was subscripting to the forums and wasn't receiving emails when someone replied to a thread in a forum.

I believe if you want your clients to view new material in the thread, they can use some kind of RSS reader for this? I haven't used this feature but you made be able to sort stuff based on read and unread material.

Just a thought
rlc65la Wrote:I believe if you want your clients to view new material in the thread, they can use some kind of RSS reader for this? I haven't used this feature but you made be able to sort stuff based on read and unread material.

The RSS feeds generated by MyBB only cover new threads, not new replies. You'd need a modification or plugin to generate feeds for new replies/posts.
21LadyLuck Wrote:Normally I would agree with you that it would annoy people.

However in this case the problem is that these users get tired of checking the board they're using now and finding nothing new there. As a result, they find it worthless, never post anything and can't figure out why the forum is failing. Rolleyes

My job is to help them build an online community for their industry. It will have posts related to their industry such as meetings, technical questions/info, etc. So it's important to them that everyone is emailed when a post is made.

You might want to take a look at bugzilla. It's free and it will email people when someone replies to a thread or post. We used this with great success at my last company.

http://www.bugzilla.org/

Even though it states that it manages software development, we were using it to track all sorts of issues related to business from development to finance to supplier relationship. So in effect, it's very good for tracking issues within a company. With it, you can set up deadline, priorities, etc... It works great!
Ok, I went to User CP >> Edit Option >> Automatically subscribe to threads you post in.

I noticed that this isn't retroactive. For example, I have 48 threads that I created prior to checking "Automatically subscribe to threads you post in" and I noticed that I am not subscribed to those thread when I go to User CP >> Subscribed Threads.

Do I have to go to each thread, view it and subscribe 1 by 1 or is there a short cut to retroactively subscribing to threads that I created and posted messages into?