MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: File Verification: Removal of install folder checks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I have a suggestion regarding File Verification tool present in Admin CP in MyBB.
If you go to Admin CP and Process File verification, you will see missing files related to install folder.
I believe it should not show at all, the reason being as the folder is not required why is being checked in the first place.
Even when a user install MyBB, the documentation and installation page itself tells that

Quote:Congratulations! You have successfully installed your MyBB. You should remove the install/ directory from your server now to prevent anyone else from running the installation again. MyBB will not run unless the installer is removed or locked.

I have added the link from where i have quoted above text - http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/

The biggest problem is scrolling the page to filter out what can be the issue in case of finding any issues and bugs.
I support this. I'm not even why it checks the install dir, it should be removed after every install.
The install directory should be verified if it is present, but its absence should not be listed as an error.
(2016-07-14, 04:14 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]The install directory should be verified if it is present, but its absence should not be listed as an error.

It might even be the opposite - showing a warning message if present, but only in the ACP to avoid unnecessary disk usage, as it's only a maintenance tool. If it's not covered by file integrity checks, it should be removed and reuploaded every time it's used.
MyBB 2.0 won't (AFAIK) have a single "install" folder. It would be more likely to be multiple files spread across multiple directories. I don't see a reason to need to remove any files after installation as MyBB can just 404 the installer unless the config is set otherwise. Similar to how we have a "lock" file in 1.x. 2.0 is significantly more complex.

Talking specifically about verification, the point of the system is to verify the integrity of the installation which should include all core files. A missing file is a deviation regardless of whether or not it's acceptable for it to be missing.
(2016-07-14, 06:01 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0 won't (AFAIK) have a single "install" folder. It would be more likely to be multiple files spread across multiple directories. I don't see a reason to need to remove any files after installation as MyBB can just 404 the installer unless the config is set otherwise. Similar to how we have a "lock" file in 1.x. 2.0 is significantly more complex.

Talking specifically about verification, the point of the system is to verify the integrity of the installation which should include all core files. A missing file is a deviation regardless of whether or not it's acceptable for it to be missing.
I understand what you have said but mostly after installation of MyBB, one can access inside the admin CP. So first thing is, user will never need to verify install folder in 99.99% cases.

After the access to admin CP, there is no point in having install folder check, reason being people only use the Verification system to check all changed files or missing files in case of bugs. Showing install folder in those logs only increases the page and nothing more.

Anyways if you feel in 2.0 the files will be widespread and will be used after the installation is complete, i guess it should be there.