MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Feedback: PHP version requirements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Very well, my host (hosting 24) supports php 7.0.

[Image: 650e63bb00114eedaaa08d4fe481c21f.png]
http://image.prntscr.com/image/650e63bb0...81c21f.png
It's perfectly fine to have PHP 7.0 in major version. By the time of release many more webhosts will support PHP 7.0 and they should!
i'm on Hawkhost and they support PHP 7.0 (it shows exact the same thing that this picture
https://community.mybb.com/thread-195675...pid1237368
Currently in Skylium (free and paid) provide support for PHP 7.0
I'm also in favor of 7.0. If MyBB 1.8 series was written for it, I'd be writing plugins in PHP 7. Having to do a lot of extra code to ensure arguments are the right type is tedious. Currently I'm on 7.0.10 with Siteground as my provider.
PHP 7 is not a problem on Hostinger, it is supported. However, I can not change the MySQL and nginx versions.
The whole thing with PHP7 is that if you are serious about wanting to run a website you should be willing to manage your own web server. I run the latest "LTS" version of Ubuntu on my Cloud Server for my site and it's a self-managed nginx+php7+mysql setup. I can change whatever I want since it's a server dedicated to my site (screwing something up on it doesn't affect anyone else). I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for the MyBB Group to provide basic instructions (maybe a Wiki, or page of links) on setting up VPS Servers to run MyBB to avoid the whole issue with shared web hosting :/
(2016-11-26, 12:01 AM)MyZeus Wrote: [ -> ]The whole thing with PHP7 is that if you are serious about wanting to run a website you should be willing to manage your own web server. I run the latest "LTS" version of Ubuntu on my Cloud Server for my site and it's a self-managed nginx+php7+mysql setup. I can change whatever I want since it's a server dedicated to my site (screwing something up on it doesn't affect anyone else). I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for the MyBB Group to provide basic instructions (maybe a Wiki, or page of links) on setting up VPS Servers to run MyBB to avoid the whole issue with shared web hosting :/

that would be a lot of information to maintain about setting up and maintaining a VPS. I think people should rely on their hosts for that type of information, personally.
One of the things I'd like to do for 2.0 is provide an official Docker container image to get a 2.0 install online quickly and easily that way, and possibly an Ubuntu snap, like Nextcloud do (and which I'm actually using and works extremely well):
If you're going to have everything rewritten then going with php 7 requirement is probably a smart idea. Especially if MyBB 2.0 is 18+ months from release.
Pages: 1 2 3