MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: domains & Mybb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey!

Sorry if this seems silly, but I've been out of the website-making loop for a couple years now, and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing. lol. The terms are confusing me and I can't seem to find the answers to my questions.

So, I want to make a website with a forum. I was thinking about purchasing a custom domain. Is a domain name a website? and I can install Mybb onto it? I have never had a domain before. The closest I came was borrowing a sub domain from a friend, and Mybb came preinstalled onto it, or rather, they installed it for me. Is there something else I need to buy, or just a domain name? Huh Also, is google domains a good provider to go through? From what little I read online, it says to make sure you can control every aspect of your domain through the control panel, such as changing IPS tags and changing name servers.... though I'm not really even sure what those are.

really any help at all would be appreciated. I am set when it comes to html and css, but all this behind the scene server stuff is really confusing me.
web hosting space is also required along with the domain name.
please see MyBB installation requirements
Use any good domain registrar like namecheap or namesilo, you also need to purchase a webhosting(if you are seriously want to start your forum as a good board for discussion) use stablehost, a2hosting or tinkerhost for paid hosting or use bladeip for free hosting. Though a VPS would be recommended with some backup features. Install MyBB on your domain and start your board with your friends. Don't forget to share your board with us.