MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Feedback: Theme system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2016-07-18, 09:54 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-18, 01:09 AM)jshort Wrote: [ -> ]This all sounds great. Like others, I'm especially excited to be able to use SASS and Twig.

I'm interested to know if the team plans to continue the use of having theme colors available and expanding that so users can choose from them. Right now, I honestly think the different theme colors option that was added in 1.8 to be pretty useless because my members aren't able to choose from those options, so if I want them to be able to choose from different color palettes, I still have to create a bunch of themes that are ultimately identical except for a few colors.

I think we probably should keep that around, and extend it to member use. It would certainly make sense to do so. With us using SASS, it would be even easier too - all you should need to do is edit a few variables for colours (and we'll likely have a nice wrapper user interface around that too).

This indeed makes sense to me also, and would be a nice touch.
Glad to see you guys are taking user feedback seriously and implementing some of the ideas that the community has! Keep up the hard work folks! Smile
(2016-07-18, 09:54 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-18, 01:09 AM)jshort Wrote: [ -> ]This all sounds great. Like others, I'm especially excited to be able to use SASS and Twig.

I'm interested to know if the team plans to continue the use of having theme colors available and expanding that so users can choose from them. Right now, I honestly think the different theme colors option that was added in 1.8 to be pretty useless because my members aren't able to choose from those options, so if I want them to be able to choose from different color palettes, I still have to create a bunch of themes that are ultimately identical except for a few colors.

I think we probably should keep that around, and extend it to member use. It would certainly make sense to do so. With us using SASS, it would be even easier too - all you should need to do is edit a few variables for colours (and we'll likely have a nice wrapper user interface around that too).

Awesome. I would definitely use this if it was included.
I vote against using fonts for icons; definitely use some image format (I like the idea of SVG).

I am happy about SASS (addresses some of the biggest limitations of basic CSS) and the new template system.

I understand minifying CSS and JavaScript, but wish to express a desire to be able to not minify while developing themes and plugins. A simple setting should suffice.
(2016-07-18, 05:06 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]I vote against using fonts for icons; definitely use some image format (I like the idea of SVG).

Why?
(2016-07-18, 05:15 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-18, 05:06 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]I vote against using fonts for icons; definitely use some image format (I like the idea of SVG).

Why?

If a visitor does not have the font installed and has disabled dynamic / embedded / web fonts, they will see a character which makes zero sense.
I'm willing to bet there are more users using web browsers that don't support SVG than there are users who've chosen to disable web fonts. Totally niche edge case.
Support for the SVG stuff we'd use actually doesn't seem to be too bad: http://caniuse.com/#search=svg

97.25% - Basic support - Method of displaying basic Vector Graphics features using the embed or object elements. Refers to the SVG 1.1 spec.

84.04% - effects - Method of using SVG transforms, filters, etc on HTML elements using either CSS or the foreignObject element

95.53% - filters - Method of using photoshop-like effects on SVG objects including blurring and color manipulation.
Yeah like Josh said, support is high for them. In most cases they're used as a compliment to text, so in the situation that a browser doesn't support them (And they're hidden), there's not really any effect on user experience. As for choosing them over using glyph fonts specifically, the link in the first post explains that pretty well.
Yeah to be clear, my intent wasn't to say that SVG are a bad idea or that support for them isn't widespread. Just that users intentionally disabling web fonts is extremely uncommon.
https://materialdesignicons.com/ would also be another viable alternative to font-awesome.
Pages: 1 2 3