MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Add attachment capability to PMs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way (plugin or otherwise) to allow attaching files to PMs as well as to posts?

Seems like a good idea to me.

Thanks in advance.

ModeratorM
Upload the attachments to OneDrive/Dropbox/Google Drive and share a link.
(2016-07-18, 11:01 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Upload the attachments to OneDrive/Dropbox/Google Drive and share a link.

Yes, that works. Some of the members are very unsavvy about computers and some have privacy concerns, however misplaced, about such services.

But if a member of my board allowed PMs and hid his or her email address and attachments were allowed in PMs, they could swap files anonymously.

On the other hand, it's not needed often.

Thanks for the suggestion.

ModeratorM
(2016-07-19, 01:53 PM)ModeratorM Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-18, 11:01 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Upload the attachments to OneDrive/Dropbox/Google Drive and share a link.

Yes, that works. Some of the members are very unsavvy about computers and some have privacy concerns, however misplaced, about such services.

On the *other* hand; you're telling your members to upload gigabytes of crap which then you have to lug around as backups, which you shouldn't necessarily be responsible for. Posts, PMs, Member data, etc sure - but if it's not in the Database (or an avatar), you shouldn't be keeping it. Get them to learn about cloud storage, it's included in their email account, then you don't have to worry about losing anything when you move hosts.
(2016-07-21, 12:28 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-19, 01:53 PM)ModeratorM Wrote: [ -> ]

On the *other* hand; you're telling your members to upload gigabytes of crap which then you have to lug around as backups, which you shouldn't necessarily be responsible for. Posts, PMs, Member data, etc sure - but if it's not in the Database (or an avatar), you shouldn't be keeping it. Get them to learn about cloud storage, it's included in their email account, then you don't have to worry about losing anything when you move hosts.

Thanks, Ben. I'm not the owner and don't have access to her server. She understands these realities more than I. I'm learning as I go.

ModeratorM