MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advertisement Manager
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello again:
Thought it might be helpful to have an advertisements manager incorporated into the admin CP. This would allow administrators to configure how, when and where ads are displayed on various pages of MyBB. Many forums have ads of some kind on them. Because of this, I think it would be more appropriate to include as a standard feature rather than as a plugin.

The settings might look a little something like this:
* Enable/Disable All Advertisements
* Ads on index.php
* Ads on forumdisplay.php

* Ads on showthread.php
- advertisements to be displayed: after the first post on every page, after every X posts, etc.

Thoughts?
Most definitely a plugin.
This should not be part of the core. Unfortunately having this as a core component really only encourages people to put ads in to try making money while inconveniencing users.

Fact is people are dumb when it comes to this. I've seen people make a brand new forum, slap a bunch of ads up then wonder why they aren't making money. (They have less than 10 posts in the entire forum.) And they can't figure it out. (For clarity, no content means no reason to stay. People will not join your forum, post for you and then make money for you. If you think it will happen then you are a fool.)

As an aside, this is very much a case where if someone does need to put ads in they likely already have the dedication and knowledge required to do it. It means they've been working and building their site for a while, to the point they can't support it on their own anymore. Which also means they are putting ads not because they dream of being rich and making easy money but because they need that money to keep their site alive.
I don't think advertisements should be part of default system, even with template edits one can add advertisements.
This is better suited as a plugin, which it currently is
Let's hope the devs still support 2.0 plugins development.

MyBB it's a lot better with the proper plugins and the MyBB Staff did a great job with plugin integration with the system. Hope still the same in 2.0.
(2016-07-19, 07:35 PM)palhanow Wrote: [ -> ]Let's hope the devs still support 2.0 plugins development.

MyBB it's a lot better with the proper plugins and the MyBB Staff did a great job with plugin integration with the system. Hope still the same in 2.0.

2.0 will be a complete rewrite of Mybb, and thus old plugins wont work.
That said, the team will definitely be including an extensive extensions and plugin system, so you can expect to see plugins like the one I linked being rewritten or developed for 2.0