MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to prevent spam attacks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I installed MyBB the other day at www.ketrin.co.uk/jboforum and was wondering how you guys deal with spam?

I use b2evolution for my blog and that has a built-in black list that you can update from a centralised location and I have not received any spam on my blog since doing this. Smile

As my forum is brand new I would like to keep it spam free right from the start. Do you have any recommendations to help keep it spam free?

Are their any plugins that I can install that might help?

Thanks.

Smile
Michael Holmes wrote a great article on this at MyBB Games. Smile
Link.
ketrinweb Wrote:Hi!

I installed MyBB the other day at www.ketrin.co.uk/jboforum and was wondering how you guys deal with spam?

I use b2evolution for my blog and that has a built-in black list that you can update from a centralised location and I have not received any spam on my blog since doing this. Smile

As my forum is brand new I would like to keep it spam free right from the start. Do you have any recommendations to help keep it spam free?

Are their any plugins that I can install that might help?

Thanks.

Smile

No such thing as Spam Free. Anyone can manually spam you at any time. As for mybb and how it deals with spam...very well. I get zero automated spam on my many forums. I have moderators that deal with the manual spam. Mybb has a report post feature you should make sure that members are aware of it.
labrocca Wrote:No such thing as Spam Free. Anyone can manually spam you at any time. As for mybb and how it deals with spam...very well. I get zero automated spam on my many forums.

Hi!

It was the automated spam I was talking about really. I understand anyone can simply logon to the forum manually etc. but it is the automated spam I would like to try and prevent, the manual spamming I can deal with by deleting and banning the users etc.

Thanks for your reply. Smile
rh1n0 Wrote:Michael Holmes wrote a great article on this at MyBB Games. Smile
Link.

Thanks for that! I have checked out the link and I am printing out a checklist to go through at the moment.

Smile
MyBB is relatively quite good in dealing with spam, I have yet to see any spam posts from bots on my forum.

It was mainly phpBB 2 forums that I always see spam posts[advertisements].
The only thing preventing spam bots from the forum is the CAPTCHA registration image. MyBB itself cannot "detect" spam bots and block them (we don't have this feature). The Akismet plugin does a good job blocking spam posts from being made though.