MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Private Message Reporting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A feature that I beleive will help administrators of a MyBB forum is allow private messaging reporting. This will just be a link, next to "| Delete" when viewing a private message, called "| Report". When the user click's on "Report", it'll just act as a normal reported reply, except it's a private message being reported, and, the receiver can just describe the problem, or not say anything.

This can help if your user's are getting usless private messages, and they want this to stop. Yes, you can just add them to your Ignore List, but, hey, why not? It'll help the admins and mods. Smile
That's quite a good idea. I wouldn't say that it should be apart of Gold but it could certainly have potential as a mod. I'll do it when Gold comes out if it's not already there, or someone hasn't already done it.

There have been times when people on my forums have had trouble in PM. This would certainly help things Smile
I think it's a good idea and I haven't seen it on any other board. Although there should be a privacy warning that your message will be open for admins/mods to see.
I believe it's illegal for administrators to read the content of private messages not directly sent to them. That's why they are called "private." It's no different than reading someone else's mail or e-mail; it's immoral.

But the "Report" link in PMs would be quite useful.
drygnfyre Wrote:I believe it's illegal for administrators to read the content of private messages not directly sent to them. That's why they are called "private." It's no different than reading someone else's mail or e-mail; it's immoral.

But the "Report" link in PMs would be quite useful.

I dont think it is illegal - as the owner of the board you can check everything and anything on it.

The only thing i think for data protection reasons that the admin is not suppoused to have access to is the users pw's as they may use these other places as well. But i dont even know if this is a legal thing either.
I think private messages should be exactly that. Private.
Yes. Anything that takes away a users privacy is illegal! So in this case, I dont think it will be made for myBB. You could always request it as a mod though!
k776 Wrote:Yes. Anything that takes away a users privacy is illegal!....

But PM's are stored in the database. Are we supposed to never look at the tables?
There is no legal agreement that they will remain private so it is not unlawful to view them, just not quite ethical (unless you have cause). If MyBB, phpMyAdmin, or some other means of access to MySQL were hacked, your private messages could be read. So, if you are worried about privacy I would not count on private messages Toungue

Anyways, this thread is about reporting private messages... if someone involved in the conversation (more likely spam) reports it, then admins can view the private message without worry of ethics/morals because of the assumed agreement. How does privacy come into consideration? Toungue
Generally, yes. Information exchanged between two people is for their eyes only. Reading peoples PM's is in a way, like reading their mail. It is a federal offence.

The idea of Private Message Reporting can be done another way however! Same report button, but instead of reading someones pms, get a reason for the report and if say 3 different accounts report the same user for say the reason of spamming them, it can be assumed other were spamed and the admin can do as they wish with the user!

Edit: Hmm, seems Matt Light and I have different views about this Confused Personally, myBB should encrypt it somehow, something users can decrypt if they really need too but just enough to stop normal users from gather personal infomation and stuff.
Pages: 1 2