MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I convert make a theme mobile friendly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2016-08-04, 05:53 PM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]Bootstrap is not the only option, it has lots of limitations as well.
People can code theme based on media queries and user agent strings as well which i feel is better.

Agreed.

If you're experienced, it shouldn't be a problem for you.
I for myself dislike Bootstrap. One of the reasons is explained here: http://adventurega.me/bootstrap/

Also have fun removing all the tables from MyBB. Rolleyes
(2016-08-09, 12:54 AM)Aoki Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-04, 05:53 PM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]Bootstrap is not the only option, it has lots of limitations as well.
People can code theme based on media queries and user agent strings as well which i feel is better.

Agreed.

If you're experienced, it shouldn't be a problem for you.
I for myself dislike Bootstrap. One of the reasons is explained here: http://adventurega.me/bootstrap/

Also have fun removing all the tables from MyBB.  Rolleyes

That link makes no sense, there's nothing wrong with bootstrap, you just need to know how to use it right.
Agreed. Seems like a lot of elitism targeted towards a product that sincerely democratizes web development in a way I haven't seen outside of the WYSIWYG builders from the 2000's. And the MyBB theme I'm building based on Bootstrap looks like no other Bootstrap theme nor like any other MyBB theme.

Certainly this page looks at least as nice as 99% of MyBB themes, and is definitely more responsive. Smile

Preferring a different framework is one thing, but there are a ton of respected designers and companies using Bootstrap and other frameworks, and I am tempted to trust in their good sense.

Quote:Also have fun removing all the tables from MyBB.

Good news: someone already did it for me!
(2016-08-09, 02:35 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed. Seems like a lot of elitism targeted towards a product that sincerely democratizes web development in a way I haven't seen outside of the WYSIWYG builders from the 2000's. And the MyBB theme I'm building based on Bootstrap looks like no other Bootstrap theme nor like any other MyBB theme.

Certainly this page looks at least as nice as 99% of MyBB themes, and is definitely more responsive. Smile

Preferring a different framework is one thing, but there are a ton of respected designers and companies using Bootstrap and other frameworks, and I am tempted to trust in their good sense.

I don't think people advising against something for legitimate reasons is elitism. It's an issue where people who aren't very code savvy see Bootstrap as a "solve every problem" type of thing. And while it may, it tries to "solve every problem", which ends up bloating web pages. With the world of mobile increasing still, being visually appealing isn't the only issue. The site should also be kind to mobile user's data plans, and loading a huge library that's only used to 50% of it's capacity is just poor optimization.

I'm not a hater of Bootstrap, but only when it's used responsibly. If you're using a custom build of Bootstrap which just includes things you make use of it's a great tool.

Here's an article from the opposing side:
http://www.punkchip.com/why-dont-you-use-bootstrap/
Maybe I just didn't like the way the point was trying to be made. In any event I like bootstrap, and i like other frameworks.
(2016-08-09, 04:23 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-09, 02:35 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed. Seems like a lot of elitism targeted towards a product that sincerely democratizes web development in a way I haven't seen outside of the WYSIWYG builders from the 2000's. And the MyBB theme I'm building based on Bootstrap looks like no other Bootstrap theme nor like any other MyBB theme.

I don't think people advising against something for legitimate reasons is elitism. It's an issue where people who aren't very code savvy see Bootstrap as a "solve every problem" type of thing. And while it may, it tries to "solve every problem", which ends up bloating web pages. With the world of mobile increasing still, being visually appealing isn't the only issue. The site should also be kind to mobile user's data plans, and loading a huge library that's only used to 50% of it's capacity is just poor optimization.

I'm not a hater of Bootstrap, but only when it's used responsibly. If you're using a custom build of Bootstrap which just includes things you make use of it's a great tool.

Here's an article from the opposing side:
http://www.punkchip.com/why-dont-you-use-bootstrap/

Bloat is a legit issue but as you said, this has more to do with the implementation than the tool. Not to mention that even a totally unoptimized Bootstrap installation will still rank way faster on Google's speed test than a default MyBB theme or most themes for MyBB.

The above article is written for developers working on web applications with startups, which is a totally different use case compared to what we're discussing here, IMO.
(2016-08-09, 09:17 PM)brad-t Wrote:Bloat is a legit issue but as you said, this has more to do with the implementation than the tool. Not to mention that even a totally unoptimized Bootstrap installation will still rank way faster on Google's speed test than a default MyBB theme or most themes for MyBB.

The above article is written for developers working on web applications with startups, which is a totally different use case compared to what we're discussing here, IMO.

Not true. Not on the speed test. On the mobile friendliness score yes, but that's simply because MyBB is not mobile friendly.
(2016-08-09, 10:02 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-09, 09:17 PM)brad-t Wrote:Bloat is a legit issue but as you said, this has more to do with the implementation than the tool. Not to mention that even a totally unoptimized Bootstrap installation will still rank way faster on Google's speed test than a default MyBB theme or most themes for MyBB.

Not true. Not on the speed test. On the mobile friendliness score yes, but that's simply because MyBB is not mobile friendly.

My WIP Bootstrap theme based on Respond performed much better than this forum and other MyBB forums on Google's speed test. I guess there could be other factors, but it's certainly not the case that Bootstrap is unduly burdensome compared to the status quo.

At any rate, it's hard to consider this as a serious issue considering 1) it can be reduced by customizing the Bootstrap installation and 2) the current state of MyBB themes, generally speaking. For all this talk of other frameworks and methodologies, there sure don't seem to be any decent MyBB themes based on them.
(2016-08-04, 04:37 PM)concernedmybbuser Wrote: [ -> ]I am designing a custom theme for MyBB and have some skills in web design and am using the default as a base (developing on localhost so can''t give you a link) and am trying to make the theme mobile friendly. What changes do I need to make?

Going back with the original topic, you need to make the theme responsive.

You can achieve this in several ways of your liking; I prefer to code all by myself or at least if I'm gonna use something that's not mine I want to know how it works; saying this, media queries for me is the best option.

Other choices are aiming at pre-elaborated frameworks (like Bootstrap) in order to reduce time and make less work (of course, like all the debate up here, this is a complete framework, you probably don't use it at 100% and it may be a waste of resources and connection but it's your choice at the end of the day). Also you can modify the framework to load less resources or just what you want to load.

Like I said before, media queries for me at least is the best option. Of course you need to redo all the templates and probably modify any plugin you want to use (due to tables).

Sorry if my english is not the best.

Cheers.
I will just leave this here:

[Image: screen7.jpg]

MyBB built with W3.CSS on shared hosting, php 5.6, and can potentially be further optimised.
Pages: 1 2 3