MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Simple & Comfortable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello MyBB Staff,
I think That MyBB 2.0 version should have a more friendly profile,
in my opinion MyBB 1.8 profile wasn't friendly and kind of "dirty",
i think you should make it more simple mabey tabbed profile,
you are a very smart developers i hope you will take my suggestion.

Another little thing, you should make the template editor more comfortable
it's need's to be more like real code editor like notepad++ ,
one of the things which made me write this is that 'Tab Space' wasn't included
it was very annoying.

Regards, Afik Habaz .
Personally would like to see a fairly similar setup to what Brad-T did with the "Mybb Humanization Project" and the approach for profiles and settings that he had done for this.

I agree with your 'idea' though - that MyBB should be more user-friendly. Perhaps you could elaborate on your ideas to aid our developers a little? Smile
(2016-08-10, 09:27 PM)katos Wrote: [ -> ]Personally would like to see a fairly similar setup to what Brad-T did with the "Mybb Humanization Project" and the approach for profiles and settings that he had done for this.

I agree with your 'idea' though - that MyBB should be more user-friendly. Perhaps you could elaborate on your ideas to aid our developers a little? Smile

Thanks for reply and for supporting my idea, 
i wont waste developers time on trying to explain them about the profile,
i made an example and added it in attachments, my imagination is very bad,
this image realy not somthing but it's kind of the idea.
(2016-08-10, 09:27 PM)katos Wrote: [ -> ]Personally would like to see a fairly similar setup to what Brad-T did with the "Mybb Humanization Project" and the approach for profiles and settings that he had done for this.

I trust the 2.0 team to design a great profile without any of my outdated ideas Wink  That said, I'm working on a new profile design now, would certainly be flattered if it inspired anyone. Will share it on this site, along with the rest of my redesign thoughts, when it's complete.
In my opinion, I don't think profiles in 2.0 will be *amazing* per se, but I do think they'll be a serious step up from what we have right now. Our goal will be more to make it easily customizable than to try and make it perfect out of the box. Doesn't mean it's not going to look great out of the box, but it may or may not quite hit the Facebook/Twitter level right away.

I don't know if any of the other devs have a different view on this, but I _think_ this is where we stand for design values in 2.0 - easy (more than 1.x) customization as opposed to out-of-the-box perfection.

Quote:Another little thing, you should make the template editor more comfortable

Templates will be actual files, so you'll be able to edit over (S)FTP/whatever with your editor(s) of choice.
(2016-08-11, 03:09 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion, I don't think profiles in 2.0 will be *amazing* per se, but I do think they'll be a serious step up from what we have right now. Our goal will be more to make it easily customizable than to try and make it perfect out of the box. Doesn't mean it's not going to look great out of the box, but it may or may not quite hit the Facebook/Twitter level right away.

I don't know if any of the other devs have a different view on this, but I _think_ this is where we stand for design values in 2.0 - easy (more than 1.x) customization as opposed to out-of-the-box perfection.

Quote:Another little thing, you should make the template editor more comfortable

Templates will be actual files, so you'll be able to edit over (S)FTP/whatever with your editor(s) of choice.

So will it be like wordpress ?
(2016-08-11, 03:15 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-11, 03:09 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion, I don't think profiles in 2.0 will be *amazing* per se, but I do think they'll be a serious step up from what we have right now. Our goal will be more to make it easily customizable than to try and make it perfect out of the box. Doesn't mean it's not going to look great out of the box, but it may or may not quite hit the Facebook/Twitter level right away.

So will it be like wordpress ?

I hesitate to liken things to WordPress because I strongly dislike using WordPress. But in the sense that you'll be able to define new "content types" that can be displayed in certain ways and restricted by the permissions system, yes. I could very much see this being an average-complexity 2.0 plugin, for example.

Edit: To expand on how it could be designed as a plugin:

New content type: Profile Banner
- id
- creator
- image reference

Permissions:
- Can display profile banner
- Can edit own profile banner
- Can edit others' profile banners
- Can delete/hide/disable (whatever verb you choose) own profile banner
- Can delete/hide/disable (whatever verb you choose) others' banners

And then you'd have some stuff that messes with the templates and lets the user set it, but that's the general idea. Doing it this way also allows for users to be able to choose from perhaps a "history" of their banners to go back to a previous one.
On a basic forum, I don't think there is a ton of stuff that a user profile needs to display. Most forum user profiles that are lauded as well designed are just loaded with useless gimmicks like public messages. Focusing on extensibility and strong information hierarchy is the right move.
This is the current 2.0 profile design:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=36788]

Once the user activity feed is added, the custom profile fields would move into the sidebar on the right if a user has any activity to show. The user activity feed will include things like a user's posts, topics, etc.
(2016-08-13, 12:16 PM)Justin Wrote: [ -> ]This is the current 2.0 profile design:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=36788]

Once the user activity feed is added, the custom profile fields would move into the sidebar on the right if a user has any activity to show. The user activity feed will include things like a user's posts, topics, etc.

Hay Justin,
this profile look's much better then from the MyBB 1.8 version profile,
Thanks for sharing!
Pages: 1 2