MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I've enabled the hidden CAPTCHA but it doesn't show
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've got a fresh clean DB and I selected yes to hidden CAPTCHA  and typed in my word but during registration it doesn't show at all and prevents users from registering. 

Please help Smile

Cheers,
Ronnie

I've even unchecked it and when I still try to register as a new user it gives me this

Please correct the following errors before continuing:
The image verification code that you entered was incorrect. Please enter the code exactly how it appears in the image.
You're confusing the hidden captcha and the image captcha.

The hidden captcha is just a text box that's set to be hidden (i.e. not at all visible on your screen, but has a value--empty--in it that gets sent to the server). Spambots like filling in fields, so if that field that no human should see gets filled in, then we deny the registration.

On the other hand, the image captcha is what you have to type in the characters for. You don't type anything for the hidden captcha at all.
(2016-08-11, 12:47 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]You're confusing the hidden captcha and the image captcha.

The hidden captcha is just a text box that's set to be hidden (i.e. not at all visible on your screen, but has a value--empty--in it that gets sent to the server). Spambots like filling in fields, so if that field that no human should see gets filled in, then we deny the registration.

On the other hand, the image captcha is what you have to type in the characters for. You don't type anything for the hidden captcha at all.

Hey Josh, 

Well,  With it hidden and it turned on =/  it says i'm unable to register unless I can only have one of them turned on?
Any chance you could share your forum URL so we can see for ourselves what's happening? I'm having trouble understanding exactly what's going on, so being able to see it would be helpful here.
(2016-08-11, 10:13 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]Any chance you could share your forum URL so we can see for ourselves what's happening? I'm having trouble understanding exactly what's going on, so being able to see it would be helpful here.

Hi @Josh H.  - 

I think it got it working so i'll make this as solved.  .M.   mybbstaff helped me, but he wasnt able to fix an error showing when we restarted nginx   using service nginx restart.   He suggested I contact you about this.  I'll created a new thread for this issue.
Still mark as solved as I do see the recaptcha, but totally not sure how I got it working... I first did the plugin, and registered a ReCaptcha account and entered those details, but the recaptcha it shows is the one where in works, not the one where you can select images to click the checkbox that says i'm not a robot..

forum address = forum.eveminions.

Also, I've been trying to do letsencrypt to have the site SSL Cert, but that fails as well and have been in contact with lets encrypt via their GitHub account.

I wouldn't mind giving you access to the forum server so you can take a look around.
I have just activated the "Hidden CAPTCHA" option from the Control Panel. I noticed that there is a default answer in the field against it. What does this default value do?
What browser/user agent do you use? It is not supposed to show in normal display. That's the whole point.
(2018-11-25, 04:31 AM)mkmybb Wrote: [ -> ]I have just activated the "Hidden CAPTCHA" option from the Control Panel. I noticed that there is a default answer in the field against it. What does this default value do?

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm wondering the same thing as this guy who was never answered. When you select Hidden Captcha, email3 defaults in settings. Does that do anything in particular? Should it be changed to something else or just leave it as email3? Does it matter?
It's just the name of a honeypot field which if filled out will prove it's a spam bot submitting the form, as it wouldn't be visible for regular users to populate.
Pages: 1 2