MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Backup running randomly or not at all
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have set my Database Backup task to run at 1 minute, 3 hour, every day, every month.
MYBB ver 1.8
Brand new install.

But it runs at random times, or not at all.
Here is a list of the dates/times it has run...

**snipped for security reasons**

The one on yesterday, 2016-08-08, 2016-08-04, 2016-08-02 I ran manually.
So every day, I check to see if it has run, and if not (usually),
I then run it manually.
Obviously I missed August 7.

Surely the server clock can't be causing this.
Or can it ?

What else can I do to make this happen as scheduled?

Thanks
Uhhh... you have bigger problems. You just posted the file names of your database backups. Now everyone can download them. You should delete them from the server ASAP and change your account password.

Also using "[email protected]" as the email address for your admin account is a bad idea. The owner of bb.cc can setup a mailserver, reset your password, and login to your account.
hi FCDobbs,

I snipped your backup lists for security reasons. please avoid pasting full paths to your files, especially the backups, for your own security's sake!
Thanks guys, for your help.
I didn't realize I was posting links... I thought I just copied/pasted the names.

Anyway, my problem still exists.... running randomly or not at all.
How active is the forum? Tasks are only triggered when there is a visitor to trigger the task.
Matt,
thanks so very much for that bit of information.

I am in a quandry as to why the system needs someone to be logged in
to trigger a task.

If I have a task set to run every day of every month at a specific hour/minute,
why won't that happen ?
This just seems counter-intuitive.

How can I make it happen, without having someone logged in ?
Quote:I am in a quandry as to why the system needs someone to be logged in
to trigger a task.

They don't need to be logged in, there just needs to be some traffic to trigger the task system. It works out of the box with no additional configuration needed. If you need reliability you should use a cron job instead.

https://docs.mybb.com/1.6/Help-Task-System/
Because something needs to physically run some code to get it to run; what else is going to run them? A traditional cron job is set up on the server, and the commands are executed on a schedule by a cron daemon, however MyBB, and any other PHP software, is just a runtime application that executes when you request the page.

If a task is due to run, the forum will output a hidden image to the page, which when loaded by the visitor's browser, runs the task code. If I had a file called run_task.php on my server, the only way that can physically run is if I set up a cron job to execute it, or visit it in my browser; as we can't assume people have the ability to add cron jobs, we have to do it this way.