MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need Opinions on this Concept
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Gigantic Players? Which do you speak of?

Reddit? Something Awful? Most communities on the internet, be they social media, other forums with general discussion sections, etc.?

Don't forget that you're competing with literally everything else someone could spend time doing. If you think you don't have competitors just because you've come up with an impossibly narrow definition of what a suitable competitor is, you're kidding yourself.

Quote:What do you mean by "You can't start with just deciding what you want to do and then working backwards to justify it." All this is, is a concept. I haven't completely figured out how I'll operate this yet but I figured I'd see if people thought it could potentially be a nice feature to be worked on. I believe I am thinking about the value in "honest terms" am I not?

The overall purpose for this, is to sort of separate the Active Dedicated members, and those who would just like to comment every now and then but have no interest in being a full member of the community, or just don't use the forum enough to be a "full member". I expect it to succeed because having a negative attitude when starting something won't help at all.

What I mean is that this feature is pointless because it provides no benefit to the user as the only difference between the full accounts and the "commenter" accounts is that one has options and the other doesn't. What need does this feature solve in your community?

It's not cynical or pessimistic to at least try to consider why you're doing something. It seems like you came here to ask for feedback but 1) aren't interested in any critical feedback and 2) aren't interested in justifying your idea or how it's valuable to your members.

Quote:I know there's a few "general" boards that get made and a few that are pretty small but growing, but I do indeed plan on buying all those out eventually.

LOL
(2016-08-17, 05:04 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Gigantic Players? Which do you speak of?

Reddit? Something Awful? Most communities on the internet, be they social media, other forums with general discussion sections, etc.?

Don't forget that you're competing with literally everything else someone could spend time doing. If you think you don't have competitors just because you've come up with an impossibly narrow definition of what a suitable competitor is, you're kidding yourself.

Quote:What do you mean by "You can't start with just deciding what you want to do and then working backwards to justify it." All this is, is a concept. I haven't completely figured out how I'll operate this yet but I figured I'd see if people thought it could potentially be a nice feature to be worked on. I believe I am thinking about the value in "honest terms" am I not?

The overall purpose for this, is to sort of separate the Active Dedicated members, and those who would just like to comment every now and then but have no interest in being a full member of the community, or just don't use the forum enough to be a "full member". I expect it to succeed because having a negative attitude when starting something won't help at all.

What I mean is that this feature is pointless because it provides no benefit to the user as the only difference between the full accounts and the "commenter" accounts is that one has options and the other doesn't. What need does this feature solve in your community?

It's not cynical or pessimistic to at least try to consider why you're doing something. It seems like you came here to ask for feedback but 1) aren't interested in any critical feedback and 2) aren't interested in justifying your idea or how it's valuable to your members.

Quote:I know there's a few "general" boards that get made and a few that are pretty small but growing, but I do indeed plan on buying all those out eventually.

LOL

What are you, blind? I've clearly stated before that I came here to see if this could be a potential good idea, as in a "could I be on to something?" kind of deal. You sound like a fool. I've also said potential ways it could be a good idea for my forum.

"I do indeed plan on buying all those out eventually" by that I don't mean things like Reddit, Social Media etc those are totally different. Like really, are you dumb? I'm talking about forums that share the same topic as mine. You're basically telling me that it's pointless to start any sort of forum, yet you're on a forum software's community board so like what?

"1) aren't interested in any critical feedback and" so by that I'm assuming that you wan't me to just say "ok" to everything you say, instead of discussing it like I don't know, normal people do? 

Please tell me how a for example, a Gaming Forum is competing with Social Media Huh that's basically what you're saying here. That all forums are pointless because Social Media which really has no relation to a Forum is already big enough to steal all your users. You're making no sense but okay I'm going to allow you to "be right". Getting way off topic here so I'd ask that you just stop responding to this thread. 

Thanks
I really can't see the usefulness to have a "commenter" usergroup. If you want to let your users just comment without having to register a full account, just enable guest posting.
I like the part about taking other forums over, only small difficulty is getting them to be amenable to your plan.
Pages: 1 2