MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Installation Wizard - Database Configuration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read through some of the older threads with others having this issue: 

Error
There seems to be one or more errors with the database configuration information that you supplied:
  • Could not connect to the database server at 'localhost' with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct?
Once the above are corrected, continue with the installation.

Unfortunately, all of the answers made no sense what-so-ever to my coding-ignorant self. I am completely new to this platform - just downloaded it today - and I don't understand what input information it is asking for. I saw in some answers from others threads that I need the username and password to my mybb database. I didn't know I had one, yet! I'm so very confused and would appreciate help. Step-by-painful-step for the common person help, please!
where are you installing MyBB (who is web host) ?

basically a database needs to be created in the server,
that database usage privileges should be granted to a user
and database name, user name & password should be noted for later use.

MyBB source files should be uploaded & installation wizard can be run with database details

please have a look at a few search results => MyBB + install + tutorial
I clicked through the video links and was able to follow the visual instructions. Thank you so much for your help!!
And once your done put your user and pass and database into Mybb.
Click the MySQL Database Wizard under the Databases heading
Next to New Database enter a name for your database and click Next Step
Next to Username enter a username.
Enter a password next to Password, enter it again for Password (Again) and then click Create User
On the next page, you'll assign privileges for the user to the database. Check the box next to All Privileges and then click Next Step.

(2016-08-21, 04:10 AM)Kaziph Wrote: [ -> ]I read through some of the older threads with others having this issue: 

Error
There seems to be one or more errors with the database configuration information that you supplied:
  • Could not connect to the database server at 'localhost' with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct?
Once the above are corrected, continue with the installation.

Unfortunately, all of the answers made no sense what-so-ever to my coding-ignorant self. I am completely new to this platform - just downloaded it today - and I don't understand what input information it is asking for. I saw in some answers from others threads that I need the username and password to my mybb database. I didn't know I had one, yet! I'm so very confused and would appreciate help. Step-by-painful-step for the common person help, please!
Quoting some more

Quote:Database Configuration
This page is for the configuration of your database. If you have javascript enabled, only fields relevant to your selected engine will be displayed. Below is an explanation of each field:
Database Engine
This is the engine that you wish to use. At most, the options available will be MySQL, MySQL Improved, SQLite 3, or PgSQL. Most likely, there is only MySQL or something similar, so this should be the right choice for you. If you have the option between MySQL and MySQL Improved, usually the Improved is the better choice.
Database Host
This is the server where the database is. Unless told otherwise by your host, this should be localhost. This option is not necessary for SQLite installations.
Database Username
This is the username you created or you use to access your database for MyBB. This option is not necessary for SQLite installations.
Database Password
This is the password for the database username that you entered. This option is not necessary for SQLite installations.
Database Name
This is the name of the database that you would like MyBB to install to. This option is not necessary for SQLite installations.
Database Path
This is the path where you want to save the SQLite file. This option is only necessary if you have selected SQLite 3.
Table Prefix
This is the prefix for the tables in the database. Unless you already have a MyBB installation in the database you entered with the prefix 
mybb_

, you should leave this how it is. If you do already have a MyBB installation in the database, you should change it to something else.

Once you have entered the details correctly, you should click on the Next button on the page. If the installer cannot access the database, you will be told so, meaning you did not enter one (or more) of the details correctly.
If you are having trouble with this step, contact your web host to see what is the correct host, username, password combination to use. This usually can be found in your host’s control panel (eg. cPanel, Ensim, DirectAdmin, Plesk).