MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: reconsider "Markdown"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry for creating another thread especially when there are 2 threads are already there:

https://community.mybb.com/thread-129503.html
https://community.mybb.com/thread-101198.html

> We should think about it again and come up with a workaround. Markdown is not gaining more and more popularity. even Whatsapp support bold, italic and preformatted text.

1. add option to choose preferred editor. markdown vs WYSIWYG (or anything like that)
2. Phrase it in html or whatever you prefer before saving to database. discourse and nodeBB are doing something similar i guess.

PS: The above two threads are pretty old (2-3 years) and scenario has been changed since then.
Markdown is already supported in 2.0. There is a config option to choose either MyCode (BBCode) or markdown. We are also already parsing when saving to DB rather than on display.
Thanks for letting me know!!
(2016-08-21, 08:16 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Markdown is already supported in 2.0. There is a config option to choose either MyCode (BBCode) or markdown. We are also already parsing when saving to DB rather than on display.

I'm not sure I agree with this pre-parsing 100%, unless there is a way to re-parse messages. As an example, I may chose to change the HTML generated for QUOTE or SPOILER.
(2016-08-25, 08:13 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-21, 08:16 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Markdown is already supported in 2.0. There is a config option to choose either MyCode (BBCode) or markdown. We are also already parsing when saving to DB rather than on display.

I'm not sure I agree with this pre-parsing 100%, unless there is a way to re-parse messages. As an example, I may chose to change the HTML generated for QUOTE or SPOILER.

The parsed code is stored with original text so it will be possible to to regenerate it (or set expiration time).
(2016-08-25, 08:13 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]

If you were to change MyCode formatting, we could always wipe out pre-parsed text or something. The speed advantage that pre-parsing gives when viewing a thread is a major benefit to it though (especially where users could have settings configured for 100 posts per page in a thread, meaning 100 messages being parsed on a single page load - parsing isn't particularly quick Wink).