MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Error Installing: CHMOD Writable files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I am attempting to install MyBB 1.8.7 onto my VPS for the first time. When I get to the Requirements Check page, the installer tells me that my configuration file and cache directory are NOT writable. A quick check in FileZilla shows that my files and directories have the correct permissions. I have tried redoing the permissions in PuTTY and FileZilla and rebooting my VPS but when I click the Recheck button, it still shows them as not writable. Any suggestions?
Hi there,

If you ls -la the forum directory, is it owned by the user PHP and your web server run as? If not, usually it should be chowned to www-data as the user (in most distros) and either www-data or root as the group.
I am still fairly new to Linux system management. When I run the command you told me to, this shows up: [Image: ec3573736d74257620a4c049dee27b91.png]
P.S. I'm making this reply from another account because CloudFlare is all of a suddent blocking my other one (Maith1).
chown -Rv www-data:www-data /path/to/mybb

Obviously it depends on what user the web server is running as, but that should sort you out.
I don't know what changed but I did a fresh install of HTTPD and PHP and MyBB and redid the CHMOD command again and it says they're writable now. Thanks for all the suggestions though.