MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if this is the wrong section, I'm a newbie Shy

This may not even be a bug, maybe it was just designed that way.

In the forum permission panel, I wanted to have one forum that was hidden that only users with a certain *secondary* usergroup could access, so I set it up the way I would've using IPB Wink (I'm actually trying to convert to MyBB from IPB). Unchecked view/post/etc for all other usergroups. Checked the users I wanted to see the forum as secondary usergroup (so no one would see they're part of that group). However, the primary group seems to overide the permission settings because the forum doesn't show up at all unless I change the secondary group to primary. In IPB when I did that secondary group overid the primary group for forum permissions.

Can anyone confirm if this is a bug or the intended use, and if it is intended use, is there anyway to do what I need without using closed source software?

Thank you,
Sam4 Smile
You can make the users primary group the secondary group and make the primary group the secondary group (swap them around) then change Display user groups option to the group you want the users to be displayed in

so,

Group 1 (Registered)
Group 2 (Special permissions)

set the Primary User Group to Group 2
and set the Secondary User Groups to Group 1

then the next option down, Display user groups, change that to the group you want the users to be displayed in (Group 1)

PS: I think its a bug, if i set a user with a primary usergroup to admin and a secondary user group to registered then the person can access the admin permissions. (opposite to your problem lol)
I think it may be a bug surrounding admin with permissions, the user I tried it with was primary group admin.. I'll try it with a registered member in a while to see if that works. I set it to secondary user group admin, primary user group "the hidden forum", the forum I have hidden didn't show, removed admin from secondary user group and it showed then.. had to go into phpmyadmin to make myself admin again but that's ok lol.

Thanks for the reply.