MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Banning Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a way for me to ban somebody other then there ip address or user name because I have an issue with a user that I banned a couple of months ago. He creates a proxy and is able to get a new ip address. How can i stop him from getting on my board. What he said he wants to do is spam the hell out of the board. I have banned a few of his ip address, but he just uses a proxy and recreates a new account.
skywalker2208 Wrote:Is there a way for me to ban somebody other then there ip address or user name because I have an issue with a user that I banned a couple of months ago. He creates a proxy and is able to get a new ip address. How can i stop him from getting on my board. What he said he wants to do is spam the hell out of the board. I have banned a few of his ip address, but he just uses a proxy and recreates a new account.

1. You can require manual activation of members/Pre-approve your members or
2. You can require your posts to be moderated or looked at before they are posted. You'd have to approve them manually.
Is he using the same email address? You can ban that. You could also always try my Akismet plugin. It'll blacklist the ip's he uses and if his posts have a pattern in the future Akismet will recognize it and mark it as spam automatically.
There isn't really a way to ban him if he keeps using proxies.
What you can do however is ban his email. Ensure that email verification is enabled first by doing this:
Admin CP --> Board Settings --> Click "User Registration and Profile Options" --> Change "Registration Method" to "Send Email Verification" ... Or change to "Administrator Verification"
Then do this:
Admin CP --> Board Settings --> Change --> Click "Banning Options" --> Insert his email address(es) in the appropriate box "Ban by Email"

Also see this article on how to crack down on spam:
http://mybbgames.com/2007/05/21/ten-ways...m-in-mybb/
hemi Wrote:1. You can require manual activation of members/Pre-approve your members or
2. You can require your posts to be moderated or looked at before they are posted. You'd have to approve them manually.
I already have it set that I have to activate them but he just uses a proxy to create another account. How do I set it up that posts have to be moderated before they are posted?

Tikitiki Wrote:Is he using the same email address? You can ban that. You could also always try my Akismet plugin. It'll blacklist the ip's he uses and if his posts have a pattern in the future Akismet will recognize it and mark it as spam automatically.
He uses a different email address each time. He just uses a bogus one. At least I think it is bogus. What is this Akismet plugin all about?
skywalker2208 Wrote:How do I set it up that posts have to be moderated before they are posted?
[wiki]Admin_CP_Forum_Management#Forum_Settings[/wiki]
Scroll to "Moderation Options" Smile
skywalker2208 Wrote:
hemi Wrote:1. You can require manual activation of members/Pre-approve your members or
I already have it set that I have to activate them but he just uses a proxy to create another account. How do I set it up that posts have to be moderated before they are posted?

Tikitiki Wrote:Is he using the same email address? You can ban that. You could also always try my Akismet plugin. It'll blacklist the ip's he uses and if his posts have a pattern in the future Akismet will recognize it and mark it as spam automatically.
He uses a different email address each time. He just uses a bogus one. At least I think it is bogus. What is this Akismet plugin all about?

http://mods.mybboard.net/view.php?did=543
rh1n0 Wrote:
skywalker2208 Wrote:How do I set it up that posts have to be moderated before they are posted?
[wiki]Admin_CP_Forum_Management#Forum_Settings[/wiki]
Scroll to "Moderation Options" Smile

Can you set this up by user only or is this just for everyone?
I'm not sure and can't remember but I think there is a plug-in that allows you to set a number count to where a person has to post a certain number of times before they are taken off moderation. I could be wrong though. check out the plug-ins..
skywalker2208 Wrote:Can you set this up by user only or is this just for everyone?
That would be for everyone.

Check out that article I linked earlier too, Akismet is a useful plugin as well (mentioned in the article also).
Pages: 1 2