MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Too many spam posts on MyBB Community
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi MyBB team,
These days I am seeing quite a lot of spam on MyBB community, I don't know if it is just me or everyone is seeing this much spam ?
http://imgur.com/a/xjkeI

I hope if everyone is seeing this, something should be done in order to prevent spam on community.
Uh-huh. What do you propose they do? There's only so much one can do to combat spam. Staff are pretty quick on the uptake of spam, but they can't stop everything.
we try our best to stay on top of it. if you see spam, please report the thread.
(2016-08-30, 05:04 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Uh-huh. What do you propose they do? There's only so much one can do to combat spam. Staff are pretty quick on the uptake of spam, but they can't stop everything.
I mean there should be some code or plugin which can combat words like this which are usually spam or proven to be. That way it will be less spam to deal with.

(2016-08-30, 05:39 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]we try our best to stay on top of it. if you see spam, please report the thread.
Appreciate it. I always do that.
(2016-08-30, 07:34 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-30, 05:04 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Uh-huh. What do you propose they do? There's only so much one can do to combat spam. Staff are pretty quick on the uptake of spam, but they can't stop everything.
I mean there should be some code or plugin which can combat words like this which are usually spam or proven to be. That way it will be less spam to deal with.

(2016-08-30, 05:39 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]we try our best to stay on top of it.  if you see spam, please report the thread.

We already have a plugin like that running, but spammers use a variety of different words (and misspellings) to get around it. We block a bunch of words, including ones related to credit card dumps, etc.
(2016-08-30, 11:02 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-30, 07:34 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-30, 05:04 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Uh-huh. What do you propose they do? There's only so much one can do to combat spam. Staff are pretty quick on the uptake of spam, but they can't stop everything.

(2016-08-30, 05:39 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]we try our best to stay on top of it.  if you see spam, please report the thread.

We already have a plugin like that running, but spammers use a variety of different words (and misspellings) to get around it. We block a bunch of words, including ones related to credit card dumps, etc.
Okay thanks for your response.
I created a plugin a while ago which checks against multiple DNSBL's (blacklists). I've checked a few IP's from spammers here and all have come positive with Barracuda Central. Could be worth looking into looking at DNSBL's on registrations.
MyBB indeed has a powerful system in back end. I was blocked a couple of times when my IP was within a blacklisted range. I was not able to use the board at all. But having dynamic IP is a wonderful work around, I guess.
Why not require manual approval if a users first ten posts? It's pretty easy to do with the promotion system. It would prevent a lot of initial spam :/
This is resolved now. We have added in some additional measures and we rarely get any spam bots posting.
Pages: 1 2