MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spambot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Something similar to the janitor idea. This won't work on every forum since some communities can build up bad blood over time and this leads to abuse of such systems unfortunately.

I use a reputation system as an auxiliary encase I'm away from administrating my forum.
if someone spams and enough members give negative points to that poster, the member/spammer will be stopped from posting in all but one forum. That forum is hidden from guests/robots (so no spam gets searched or viewed)

They can attempt to use their ability to post there to try and gain some reputation (by posting quality posts) or they can attempt to appeal the enforced limitation to members and staff alike should they feel their was any abuse. (since members can upvote their reputation to give them their rights back.)

Currently I've not set it up to decay reputation over time, but then again It's not really been needed as of yet.
I was more referring to the spam bot in general support...
Aren't you guys annoyed by it?  It's just random letters and weird characters.  Confused I am.
Known issue, and the spammers manage to bypass the filter.
Obviously we're annoyed by it but whatever meaures we put in place they end up getting around them. We're looking at trying to implement something that checks posts against other services but is still ongoing.
It's a cat and mouse game between developers and spammers/bots.
(2016-09-23, 12:27 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Obviously we're annoyed by it but whatever meaures we put in place they end up getting around them. We're looking at trying to implement something that checks posts against other services but is still ongoing.

A few years back I created a honeypot forum and let the spam flow in (millions in total), and I created a custom plugin to prevent the bots from registering. Didn't get a single spam post after that.

Basically, it set a cookie using Javascript on the registration agreement page, and checked if it was set correctly (server side) during the registration process. Of course, this would make Javascript a requirement for registering here, and doesn't help against human spammers, but it shows custom systems are the best at preventing spam.
spambots , the scourge of the internet. there is no way to eradicate them.
Those in general support never stop lol..
I love how one post made in the middle of the spam in GS became such an interesting topic. And Nathan, Could you try redirect the bot to a honeypot to see if your plugin would stop this specific one? It would be great if it could, that bot is a bit of a pest
Pages: 1 2 3 4