MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Theme installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Newish to MYBB.  Nice so far, but sorry I'm confused by theme installation.

Themes seem to have an 'upload' directory and a theme.xml file.

In my admin, if I go to Templates & Styles  > Import a Theme, it gives option to import from a Local File.  Which file is that?....the XML file?  What happens if I choose that....does it then download and install all the contents of the Upload directory?

Or do I have to first upload the theme contents directory before calling the XML file?.....and do I call that from my local file or from an URL  (mysite..com/forum/theme.xml)...??

I've tried various permutations of these procedures for Rush and Vienna themes (which both, strangely, flag a message that the themes are incompatible with my 1.8.7 installation?).  But while the basic CSS of the themes appears visible (fonts, colors), none of the images are.

Finding the theme installation nowhere near as easy as Wordpress....  Wink
For any theme you need to import the XML file AND upload the folder contents if there are any, maintaining the directory structure.
So you mean upload the theme folder BEFORE importing the XML file?

If I have to upload the theme contents folder before importing the XML file, I'm wondering why there is a 'local file' option - seems odd to me to have uploaded a folder to a remote server but be calling a file from my PC! Oh well....

Anyway, I did this:

1. uploaded the 'rush' directory to the main forum directory
2. went to import a theme in admin and chose rush-theme.xml from my local file
3. clicked 'import'
4. got a warning message about the theme not being compatible with 1.8.7
5. checked the 'ignore compatibility' option
6. chose rush-theme.xml again and clicked import
7. 'theme imported successfully'
8. made Rush my default theme
9. viewed the board.....and all the theme images are missing

So, what's going wrong?
Try to upload the content of the rush directory to images directory of the forum
You have to maintain the directory structure when uploading, so your files are uploaded to the wrong location.
(2016-09-04, 01:12 PM)chack1172 Wrote: [ -> ]Try to upload the content of the rush directory to images directory of the forum

Just the contents (all the individual files)....??   Not the folder including the files?
You probably didn't upload the images folder in the right place. You should upload it inside "IMAGES" folder. Provide a link to the forum if you can
(2016-09-04, 01:13 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]You have to maintain the directory structure when uploading, so your files are uploaded to the wrong location.

Hi Ashley, maintain what directory structure?   

No 'directory structure' is shown or illustrated  in the 'import theme' admin, nor on the MYBB themes page where the theme is downloaded from.
Maintaining the directory structure means files under images in the package go under images on your server, files under inc in the package go in files under inc on your server etc. You don't have to worry about overwriting anything, because in most cases theme files are new files, and if it does want to overwrite, the FTP client will prompt you with a warning beforehand.
Let's open up the Rush directory (on my PC) - no sub-directories, just a long list of files.....some png's, some gif's, some css files, some javascript files.

You're telling me I have to separate those out and upload them individually to parts of the existing directory structure? OK, image files presumably go to images. But .css and .js files? - where do they go?

Frankly, this is archaic! Not to mention that there are no obvious instructions on this procedure anywhere!

Strewth........
Pages: 1 2