MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMTP setup and mailing in general
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys, I am quite new to MyBB and therefore my questions may be slightly obvious.

I have installed MyBB forum and it works well. I have also set up mail settings to be SMTP and used AWS (Amazon Web services SES service) credentials.

Now I have few questions, since nothing works (contact us, email verification, mass mailing):
1. Do I have to setup PHP mail to make Contact Us form work or is it going through SMTP setup too?
2. How come I am not defining SMTP email address anywhere? In AWS I have to verify SMTP domain so I would expect MyBB asks which email address do I want to use for sending out emails with SMTP settings.
3. Email verification error that I found in log says this: "MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function." - how come is that since I have set up mailing to go through SMTP? So here again, do I have to setup PHP mail too?

Thank you for any assistance. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
If you want to use PHP mail, you will need to install postfix. Otherwise mail won't send.

I'd recommend SMTP through GMail or similar. You have to manually set the option to send using SMTP over PHP mail. Where it is I'm not entirely sure as I no longer use MyBB.
(2016-09-05, 11:59 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to use PHP mail, you will need to install postfix. Otherwise mail won't send.

Don't even try to send it yourself nowadays. It'll almost certainly go to spam because you need to know about setting up SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records to begin to seem remotely trustworthy to providers.

Use SendGrid or another similar service instead, which should provide you the SMTP information you need and help you send mail properly.
(2016-09-06, 02:59 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-05, 11:59 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to use PHP mail, you will need to install postfix. Otherwise mail won't send.

Don't even try to send it yourself nowadays. It'll almost certainly go to spam because you need to know about setting up SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records to begin to seem remotely trustworthy to providers.

Thus why I recommend SMTP.
(2016-09-06, 05:07 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-06, 02:59 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-05, 11:59 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to use PHP mail, you will need to install postfix. Otherwise mail won't send.

Thus why I recommend SMTP.

Thank you guys for your answers but I am unsure you read my question properly. I have SMTP credentials from AWS and they are supposed to work just fine but as I said they don't. Plus even though I have set up a mail to go through SMTP it still shows in Email service log the error that I mentioned (PHP mail  bla bla).

That's why I was wondering, why it's still trying to use PHP mail when I explicitly said I want to use SMTP.
Yes, you haven't set the setting to send through SMTP rather than PHP Mail() which MyBB will do by default.

Which I did state in my opening post:

(2016-09-05, 11:59 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]You have to manually set the option to send using SMTP over PHP mail.
(2016-09-06, 07:57 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, you haven't set the setting to send through SMTP rather than PHP Mail() which MyBB will do by default.

Which I did state in my opening post:

(2016-09-05, 11:59 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]You have to manually set the option to send using SMTP over PHP mail.

But I have already set it. Unless there is something besides this to be set. Please see attachment. Thanks a lot.