MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: evade fake bots accounts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, Im an active user in a forum where I have been upgraded to moderator since we receive new users (fake bots accounts) and someone has to delete them.
At first we thought it was a bored person creating accounts but the fake accounts are created nonstop since the forum was opened.

I was wondering if we can finish with this. Its annoying having so many bots accounts (and some of them even send spam). 

Im not the admin but I can tell him if there are some solutions to this.
Do you know if the forum is running MyBB 1.8.4 or above?

I have Google reCAPTCHA on my forum and I've seen maybe one bot registration with it enabled. It's been enabled since early 2015. You can configure how strict the captcha is.

Here are some more methods, but really reCAPTCHA should be enough.
  • Require email confirmation for new accounts, disable posting for the "Awaiting Activation" usergroup, and hide the usergroup from the memberlist.
  • Disposable Email Blacklist is a plugin I've used for quite a while. It adds around 700 email providers (commonly used by spammers) to the MyBB email ban list on your forum.
  • DNSBLs by nth