MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Am I the only one who hates Ubuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everything about Ubuntu sucks.  From the moment I began using it, part of me started to despise Linux.  Luckily this went away as I found Linux Mint, and completely evaporated once I discovered Debian 8.  OMG do I love KDE on Debian 8.

But Ubuntu is the worst of the worst.  It's proprietary junk built on top awesome open source (free software) potential. Their search bar puts your entire disk contents on their cloud server, and it's crazy that it's supported by so many.

Valve for example supports it.

Are you guys into free software as much as I am?  I absolutely am in love with it it's like the answer to all problems in the world in my mind.

What OS are you guys on?
Quote:Their search bar puts your entire disk contents on their cloud server

That's not true. It sent search terms to one of Canonical's servers and you've always been able to disable it AFAIK. With 16.04 it's disabled by default.

Quote:It's proprietary junk built on top awesome open source (free software) potential.

What's the "proprietary junk"? There are proprietary drivers available, which is why it's generally more stable than other distros.

I've used Ubuntu since 9.04. I was always a huge fan of GNOME 2, but I didn't really care for Unity. Now I use Ubuntu MATE which is pretty much the same old Ubuntu.

I'm a big fan of Debian and CentOS. Unfortunately using wifi on Debian is difficult at best. Ubuntu "just works".

If we're talking security here, Linux Mint might not be the best choice. Despite Canonical's move to try and monetize Ubuntu, I still trust them enough to use it.
(2016-09-13, 12:37 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Their search bar puts your entire disk contents on their cloud server

That's not true. It sent search terms to one of Canonical's servers and you've always been able to disable it AFAIK. With 16.04 it's disabled by default.

Quote:It's proprietary junk built on top awesome open source (free software) potential.

What's the "proprietary junk"? There are proprietary drivers available, which is why it's generally more stable than other distros.

I've used Ubuntu since 9.04. I was always a huge fan of GNOME 2, but I didn't really care for Unity. Now I use Ubuntu MATE which is pretty much the same old Ubuntu.

I'm a big fan of Debian and CentOS. Unfortunately using wifi on Debian is difficult at best. Ubuntu "just works".

If we're talking security here, Linux Mint might not be the best choice. Despite Canonical's move to try and monetize Ubuntu, I still trust them enough to use it.

I agree Ubuntu > Linux Mint (in regards to security, Mint is a joke)

Ubuntu works the way it does because no computer since 2009 has had free hardware, so they make up for that by supporting your hardware. Whereas Debian with your wifi problem doesn't support free hardware (although, this is not true, please check out Debian non free edition, I believe it will fix your Wi-fi problems)

So once computers become more free (LibreTea computer sold out releasing in October for example) Debian will be more realistic to use. For now, Ubuntu is easier to use.

The biggest concern I have with Ubuntu is their proprietary package manager.

EDIT: But is it not still indexing your hard drive in a way? It can tell which files you search for, and of course they changed it. There was huge back lash. Ubuntu is like Debians brother that smoked pot and came up with a bunch of crazy ideas, but because this world is so stupid Ubuntu ended up being famous and Debian being intellectually superior still lives in its shadow Sad
Quote:EDIT: But is it not still indexing your hard drive in a way?
Windows does.
OS X does.
Ubuntu does.
Any system with a search feature indexes your hard drive because it would be nearly impossible to search for things in an efficient manner otherwise. If you have a solution to this problem (quick search without indexing), by all means, share it. No, grep is not the same because it can easily take seconds to check for words in a file (at best). I want relevant results displayed by the time I type the third letter.
Quote:It can tell which files you search for, and of course they changed it. There was huge back lash.
The feature in question sent search queries (made via the dash UI) to services like Amazon (may have gone to Canonical as an intermediary as Nathan said, but I don't remember it completely). Yes, it was an awful feature, and I'm glad they removed it, but don't think they're sending your hard drive to Amazon. You have to be on some good stuff (as you suggest the Ubuntu maintainers are) to think that the average internet connection can actually upload gigabytes upon gigabytes of data without it causing obvious performance degradation on home networks.

Quote:Ubuntu is like Debians brother that smoked pot and came up with a bunch of crazy ideas, but because this world is so stupid Ubuntu ended up being famous and Debian being intellectually superior still lives in its shadow Sad

And now you've just devalued all your arguments with a statement wholly founded in extreme personal opinions. It's so unfortunate that we have a Debian-like distro supported at the enterprise level by a company. So tragic that there's an alternative to SLES, RHEL, or (god forbid) Oracle Linux! Just terrible!

Quote:because this world is so stupid Ubuntu ended up being famous

If you think the world is stupid for this reason, you've got a lot more to see.

Quote:and Debian being intellectually superior
[citation needed]

Quote:still lives in its shadow Sad
okay
Quote:What OS are you guys on?

Elementary OS fan here... still infant but promising

Quote:Unfortunately using wifi on Debian is difficult at best. Ubuntu "just works".

Debian use old stable kernel while Ubuntu use latest kernel. May be if you install the latest kernel on Debian you can make it works...
(2016-09-13, 10:07 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:EDIT: But is it not still indexing your hard drive in a way?
Windows does.
OS X does.
Ubuntu does.
Any system with a search feature indexes your hard drive because it would be nearly impossible to search for things in an efficient manner otherwise. If you have a solution to this problem (quick search without indexing), by all means, share it. No, grep is not the same because it can easily take seconds to check for words in a file (at best). I want relevant results displayed by the time I type the third letter.
Quote:It can tell which files you search for, and of course they changed it. There was huge back lash.
The feature in question sent search queries (made via the dash UI) to services like Amazon (may have gone to Canonical as an intermediary as Nathan said, but I don't remember it completely). Yes, it was an awful feature, and I'm glad they removed it, but don't think they're sending your hard drive to Amazon. You have to be on some good stuff (as you suggest the Ubuntu maintainers are) to think that the average internet connection can actually upload gigabytes upon gigabytes of data without it causing obvious performance degradation on home networks.

Quote:Ubuntu is like Debians brother that smoked pot and came up with a bunch of crazy ideas, but because this world is so stupid Ubuntu ended up being famous and Debian being intellectually superior still lives in its shadow Sad

And now you've just devalued all your arguments with a statement wholly founded in extreme personal opinions. It's so unfortunate that we have a Debian-like distro supported at the enterprise level by a company. So tragic that there's an alternative to SLES, RHEL, or (god forbid) Oracle Linux! Just terrible!

Quote:because this world is so stupid Ubuntu ended up being famous

If you think the world is stupid for this reason, you've got a lot more to see.

Quote:and Debian being intellectually superior
[citation needed]

Quote:still lives in its shadow Sad
okay

The world is stupid because its easier to take advantage of stupid people

Is TAILS good enough citation?