MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Patch+Docs] Reddit Thread Style for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anymore progress with this?
I apologize for the answer delay. Had little time for development the last few days.
I now added a reply button. One must know the "reply" button shown in the posts at both linear and thread mode was internally a quote button. MyBB had no functionality to reply to a particular post without fullquoting it !!! So that what was the "reply" button is now a second button "Quote".

(2016-09-25, 05:23 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:A exemplary veryyy bad example for the MyBB web design is the choice of the thread display mode in the upper right.
This could be a simple button leading to either linear/threaded.
But it is still implemented by the MyBB as dropdown which needs *two* clicks...   *sigh*
There are many other examples of such unergonomic things.

This was actually by design. In 1.6 there were two links which cluttered the table header. Threaded mode is an extremely old format which is only really used by mailing lists and perhaps one or two (custom coded) established forums. It's not good UX, and it will be removed in 2.0, hence why I hid it away. There's no point having a direct link to it. It's the same reason you don't see post subjects unless you hover over the date of the post. They still exist, but they're going to be removed in 2.0.
I didn't know until that post that the MyBB devs seem determined to have flat/linear mode only.

One must know the reason why I chose MyBB: it was one of the forums listed on Wikipedia listing of forums software which offered dual thread viewing modes, flat and threaded. Thus I could just replace the old Usenet threaded mode with the modern social media threaded mode, as the glue code (switching between the modes) already is there. I tried out some of these forums and chose MyBB because its code is the least ugly of those I tested.

Anyway. Malcolm's post made me look at all previews and information I could find about MyBB 2.

Big bummer!   Undecided
MyBB 2.0 seems actually worse than 1.8.
Even boxier. Even more javascript. Even more modal dialogs.
There is no fun in using such. Especially on mobile devices.
What makes me wonder also is the affection the MyBB devs show towards modal dialogs. There was a time modal dialogs were en vogue in the 1980s and 1990s. But since then it is common sense with GUI designers that modals should be used only when there is no better alternative (i.e. notification message display, confirmations etc). On mobile devices, modal dialogs are a PITA even more.

On top of this all, the devs seem trying to make MyBB 2.0 resemble the Windows 10 GUI. Windows users are a small minority in my forum's audience, which mainly despises Windows. Using an out-of-the-box MyBB 2.0 would probably be a no-go there...

Thus I am no longer sure whether MyBB was the right choice.

So I will put online as planned the MyBB forum I prepared. After that I'll install and look at some other forums from the Wikipedia list. And then decide whether to keep MyBB or to export the forum to another forum software.
For example VanillaForums community forum looks really cool. I guess if combined with a Reddit thread style it could rock. Its HTML code is the most beautiful I saw on a forum until now. Its PHP code is a joy to read. I already look forward installing and trying it out.
After I have decided which forum I will stay with, I'll either resume work on the mod (if I stay with MyBB) or start over from scratch implementing a reddit/ social media like threaded style for another forum software.

So I apologize I put the development of this mod on hold for now.
I'll upload the code and templates the next days onto Github and post a notice in this thread.
You were a great contributor.
Sorry, but I'm completely new to MyBB. How would I add this code? Thanks.
(2016-12-14, 06:27 AM)weab00 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, but I'm completely new to MyBB. How would I add this code? Thanks.

Replace the templates with the templates given. Replace the php files from mybb with the files given. I wouldn't recommend using this though, as it's unfinished.
Pages: 1 2