MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Coppa...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
When is mybb going to add COPPA compliance? I am starting to feel worried because I do have a few forums geared toward a younger audience. It's required that anyone under 13 is required to have a parent SIGN (usually by fax) giving permission for you to have their personal information (email address).

Now it's not that tough to add COPPA but if MYBB doesn't plan on adding it then I would have to consider making this a plugin.

Please let me know what the intentions are for COPPA and MYBB.

http://www.coppa.org/comply.htm
I did bring it up at the beginning of our Planning stage for 1.4 and the staff agreed but it seems to have been lost in the long list of ideas and suggestions.
Yeah that's why I wanted to bring up before 1.4 comes out. It would certainly be nice to see this implemented on release.
As long as it can be turned off. Not everyone lives in America and even among those of us that do, not all websites have to comply with COPPA (contrary to popular belief).

The Federal Trade Commission Wrote:Who Must Comply

If you operate a commercial Web site or an online service directed to children under 13 that collects personal information from children or if you operate a general audience Web site and have actual knowledge that you are collecting personal information from children, you must comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

To determine whether a Web site is directed to children, the FTC considers several factors, including the subject matter; visual or audio content; the age of models on the site; language; whether advertising on the Web site is directed to children; information regarding the age of the actual or intended audience; and whether a site uses animated characters or other child-oriented features.

To determine whether an entity is an "operator" with respect to information collected at a site, the FTC will consider who owns and controls the information; who pays for the collection and maintenance of the information; what the pre-existing contractual relationships are in connection with the information; and what role the Web site plays in collecting or maintaining the information.
My site does not meet those criteria and I therefore have no intention of subjecting my users to COPPA. Please, MyBB Staff, make it optional when you include it.
I wasn't suggested that it not be optional. All forum software that implement it allow you to turn it off that I am aware of.
Sound like a brilliant idea. I like to see it
This has been brought up quite a few times as far as I can remember. I think it should be added in to 1.4.
Sorry to ask again but I am really getting antsy about this. I need to know if I should just make a plugin myself or will there be compliance very soon. I would think being within the law of the US would have some importance to mybb.

And btw..when I had other sites with phpbb...I would regularly get faxes for COPPA signup for sites like nintendogstalk.com or animalcrossingforum.com which are both geared toward 10-15 crowd. I am placing myself in jeapordy by not having coppa compliance.
labrocca Wrote:Sorry to ask again but I am really getting antsy about this. I need to know if I should just make a plugin myself or will there be compliance very soon. I would think being within the law of the US would have some importance to mybb.

And btw..when I had other sites with phpbb...I would regularly get faxes for COPPA signup for sites like nintendogstalk.com or animalcrossingforum.com which are both geared toward 10-15 crowd. I am placing myself in jeapordy by not having coppa compliance.

Well why don't you make the plugin yourself, and if it comes out in 1,4 then you won't need to upgrade the COPPA will you know, so it might all just work out for you in the end mate.

Also i would like to see this as i am runnign a forum with ages from: 10 to 20+ lol, but i am no good at making mods don't know php at all could someone start me off in the right direction to making mods for MyBB as i would love to do it, something simple at first thoughBig Grin
How do you verify the age of the registrant / member?
How do you verify that the respondent is the parent or legal guardian?

In the virtual world of the ether, we only know what the user tells us.
Pages: 1 2 3 4