MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Multiple Accounts / Duplicate Member (flash cookie)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, I moved from IP.Board to mybb 1.8 because of various reasons recently, and I was using a plugin to detect users trying to create multiple accounts from one web browser. It is not based on IP address but instead stock a flash cookie insides user's webbrows so even if he changes his IP you can still check if he's trying to create multiple accounts.

It can be easely bypassed but still I was catching a lot of people trying to create multiple account with this method (and this is very usefull on forum having any sort of market place) 

I have no idea if a plugin like that exist for mybb as I did not find anything about that
I'd be glad to re create this plugin for mybb 1.8 based on the source of the ipb plugin but this will take some times i guess ^^

The plugin is called Duplicate Members Logger 

If anyone else is interested in something like that or have any clue on how to achieve this in mybb I'b glad to talk with you ! Cool
Should not be too hard. I've got something else on my to-do list but since this looks easy, you can post a request on my website and I may accept this one.
Still looking for this, I found some discussion about similar plugins develloped for mybb 1.1 but I never found any download link / source code.
Sorry I didn't see "plugins request" forum, is possible to move this thread ? thanks.
Moved to Plugin Requests.
(2016-09-14, 04:33 PM)UzGz Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone, I moved from IP.Board to mybb 1.8 because of various reasons recently, and I was using a plugin to detect users trying to create multiple accounts from one web browser. It is not based on IP address but instead stock a flash cookie insides user's webbrows so even if he changes his IP you can still check if he's trying to create multiple accounts.

It can be easely bypassed but still I was catching a lot of people trying to create multiple account with this method (and this is very usefull on forum having any sort of market place) 

I have no idea if a plugin like that exist for mybb as I did not find anything about that
I'd be glad to re create this plugin for mybb 1.8 based on the source of the ipb plugin but this will take some times i guess ^^

If anyone else is interested in something like that or have any clue on how to achieve this in mybb I'b glad to talk with you ! Cool

I second that notion indeed and truly think after watching the registration pattern here at times based on username choices on multiple signups all around the same time periods and then humorously watching their online activity have come to believe often times it is not bots but the same user constantly creating accounts.., lol, especially when you read what the usernames spell out when they all multi login at the same time...., that this type of plugin if created should be implemented here as well. Just an agreeable thought from a watchful observer. Anywhoo..., such users choices to multi account blitz are completely silly to someone like myself whom has had the same single account since 2006 and has never seen the need for another because, why would you need more than one if you are on the level ya know?!
(2016-12-02, 04:28 PM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-14, 04:33 PM)UzGz Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone, I moved from IP.Board to mybb 1.8 because of various reasons recently, and I was using a plugin to detect users trying to create multiple accounts from one web browser. It is not based on IP address but instead stock a flash cookie insides user's webbrows so even if he changes his IP you can still check if he's trying to create multiple accounts.

I second that notion indeed and truly think after watching the registration pattern here at times based on username choices on multiple signups all around the same time periods and then humorously watching their online activity have come to believe often times it is not bots but the same user constantly creating accounts.., lol, especially when you read what the usernames spell out when they all multi login at the same time...., that this type of plugin if created should be implemented here as well. Just an agreeable thought from a watchful observer. Anywhoo..., such users choices to multi account blitz are completely silly to someone like myself whom has had the same single account since 2006 and has never seen the need for another because, why would you need more than one if you are on the level ya know?!
Hey I'm still looking for a plugin like duplicate account finder from IP.board !
Long time now but I still wanna answers you, the #1 reason of multiple account is fake rep / fake trade review / ban evading / scamming. And that's a lot of bad things Toungue
Some guys are pretty good to hide themselves and create "fake" web life for fake username, the flash cookie thing was a good way to find newbie scammers but I guess there's no real way to find out multiple account of experimented scammers.

Anyway if anyone has an idea / clue / snippets / plugin example ! it'd be nice Smile