MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing Domain Name Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I advised my host I was changing my old domain name to a new domain name. I gave them the NEW domain name and advised them I still didn't see there hosting site come up under the new domain yet after changing the DNS settings. I asked them what I should do. (I wanted to do a "301 Permanent Re-Direct", from my old domain so I wouldn't lose the search engine spiders or my members. They said "there is an extra charge to host the new name". Is that normal?)
Next thing know, they emailed me back and said "we took care of it". I went to the new domain name and there was my forum but all screwed up. It looked like if you were to remove the CSS files, you know, just a "skeleton" of myBB, no header, colors, design, nothing but text. I asked them if they would please put my forum back to my old domain name, which after a few "Grrrrr comment's", they did.

My question is, is that their fault the the site looked all messed up, or is there something I should be changing in the myBB script too, before going to a new domain. Something tells me its on my side that cause it and not them.

Any ideas? Thanks!
corky Wrote:I advised my host I was changing my old domain name to a new domain name. I gave them the NEW domain name and advised them I still didn't see there hosting site come up under the new domain yet after changing the DNS settings. I asked them what I should do. (I wanted to do a "301 Permanent Re-Direct", from my old domain so I wouldn't lose the search engine spiders or my members. They said "there is an extra charge to host the new name". Is that normal?)
Next thing know, they emailed me back and said "we took care of it". I went to the new domain name and there was my forum but all screwed up. It looked like if you were to remove the CSS files, you know, just a "skeleton" of myBB, no header, colors, design, nothing but text. I asked them if they would please put my forum back to my old domain name, which after a few "Grrrrr comment's", they did.

My question is, is that their fault the the site looked all messed up, or is there something I should be changing in the myBB script too, before going to a new domain. Something tells me its on my side that cause it and not them.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Please try this once it is on a new domain name:
Board Settings->Change->General Configuration->Change Board URL to your new domain name and submit.
Also make sure that your cookies are set correctly then.

[wiki]Cookie Settings[/wiki]
nickman Wrote:Please try this once it is on a new domain name:
Board Settings->Change->General Configuration->Change Board URL to your new domain name and submit.

The host put me back on my OLD domain as I asked them to. Do I need to be on my NEW domain to try this?

Thanks Nickman...
corky Wrote:

The host put me back on my OLD domain as I asked them to. Do I need to be on my NEW domain to try this?

Thanks Nickman...

Yes, once your on your new domain, do the above Big Grin
nickman Wrote:
corky Wrote:

Thanks Nickman...

Yes, once your on your new domain, do the above Big Grin

Thanks Nickman, hope they don't yell too loud at me for asking to go back to the new one...Smile
Hey thanks too Destroyer, will take care of the cookie situation, also.
One last thing, is because I didn't do the above (what you advised) why my forum looked all messed up? I just hate to have it look like that if the host has caused it.
Yes, you have to do that.
Quote:"there is an extra charge to host the new name". Is that normal?

It depends on your webhost. Some allow unlimited "additional domains" on your account (usually if you're paying for a decent account). However, some hosts limit the number of domains you can host on your account to 5 or 1. Remember, they're a business Smile