MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Permission Priorities - What's the deal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just upgraded (finally) from 1.2.3 to 1.2.7 and have found very strange and confusing things are now happening to the permissions to access various forums, particularly in relation to people who are members of multiple user groups.

I basically want to know - what gets priority?

Say a user is a member of Group A and Group B.
Say a forum is set to allow access to Group A, but deny access to Group B. Is this user able to get into this forum?
Does it make a difference if Group A or Group B is set as the primary usergroup of the user?
What about inherited permissions - do custom settings for Group A (say, allowing access), for example, override inherited permissions for Group B?

I've been trying to experiment and work out the logic of this for a few hours now and I'm not getting very far. After the upgrade, a pile of users were locked out of various "special" forums they had access to in the past, and I'm still figuring out how to give them their access back without letting in everyone else accidentally.

What's the best practice way to do this now? I essentially have a few forums (A "Staff Lounge", a forum for long-time members etc.), that I want to give only certain users access to, and deny everyone else. If I were to redo all my permissions and usergroups from scratch, how would people reccomend doing this?

Cheers.