MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Moment.js
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use Moment.js for post times (and times in general). This would make it so users wouldn't have to set their timezone on register and guests could see the real time of the post (in their timezone).

Thoughts?
I support this but I guess it would suit for a plugin and not a core feature.
(2016-09-17, 08:11 AM)Boonie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use Moment.js for post times (and times in general). This would make it so users wouldn't have to set their timezone on register and guests could see the real time of the post (in their timezone).

Thoughts?

looks pretty cool. I guess the user's system would determine the time zone and current time?
(2016-09-18, 06:42 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]looks pretty cool.  I guess the user's system would determine the time zone and current time?

That is correct, everything is read from the users system, there is no user interaction. This is a plus because you wouldn't have to store any timezones in the DB (and then you get the users which don't set their timezone and wonder why post times are wrong).
I personally wouldn't want to have to enable Javascript for every MyBB forum I visit just to have the time set correctly. I'm sure there will be some cases where we'll need the user's timezone when they're not visiting the forum too. For example, there's an internal plugin on this forum which displays the timezone of every team member -- Green for daytime, yellow for early morning/evening, and red for night. It allows the team to see when people are generally going to be available.

For guests it's a nice idea, but for members the timezone should be set by them.