MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Show new replies to your posts.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So why hasn't this made it into subsequent MyBB versions? I've found over 4 threads with at least 10 different users requesting it...

I figured that since I stopped using MyBB and have come back, this would have been solved by now.
(2009-03-27, 08:48 PM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]So why hasn't this made it into subsequent MyBB versions? I've found over 4 threads with at least 10 different users requesting it...

We have hundreds of thousands of installations of MyBB, perhaps millions, across the internet and 10 users over the course of 4 threads make it that much of a priority?
(2009-03-28, 05:05 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-03-27, 08:48 PM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]So why hasn't this made it into subsequent MyBB versions? I've found over 4 threads with at least 10 different users requesting it...

We have hundreds of thousands of installations of MyBB, perhaps millions, across the internet and 10 users over the course of 4 threads make it that much of a priority?

Answer me two questions and I'll let it drop. Answer them honestly without saying "developers should be respected" or "we decide things and it is so because we said so". Saying those things is really a cop out. Instead, answer honestly.

1)
Q. When a person visits a forum after a few hours absense, what is most important to them
My Answer: Responses to their posts naturally

2)
Q. Currently, how many clicks of a mouse does it take a user to find the answer to #1?
My Answer: 2...but they have to know to go to the User Control Panel first in order to find that.

So then, we need to ask, can this be simplified. The answer is yes. Just like the silliness that Microsoft brought with the stupid "are you sure you want to delete these items" when you try to empty the trash bin...we can improve the process and simplify it.

It doesn't matter how many users out there use MyBB and don't ask for this feature...because probably only 1% of them visit this forum to ask questions...and less than that stay on for multiple posts. How do I get those numbers? You said there are hundreds of thousands of installations out there. That means hundreds of thousands of admins and perhaps a million users. Take 20 thousand (the number of members in this forum) and you have a VERY small percentage of those users and admins out there.

Using this logic, it makes sense to not tout numbers in favor or against this feature and instead, just ask the question...does it make sense? Does it make sense to simplify and enhance the user experience? The answer is yes.

I've given you my honest opinion on this...I've been completely professional. I hope that this doesn't turn out like other threads I've seen on the same subject.
I'm going to have to say that I agree with devnet completely.
(2009-03-28, 05:32 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to have to say that I agree with devnet completely.

i too completely agree. This should be included as a feature in the next mybb update or as a plugin so that atleast till then we get the feature enabled for us
(2009-03-28, 05:19 AM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]Answer me two questions and I'll let it drop. Answer them honestly without saying "developers should be respected" or "we decide things and it is so because we said so". Saying those things is really a cop out. Instead, answer honestly.

Sure thing. I don't think I give cop-out answers often.

(2009-03-28, 05:19 AM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]1)
Q. When a person visits a forum after a few hours absense, what is most important to them

My Answer: See new updates (which could be anything relating to a forum software, just a matter of time to implement the features properly)

(2009-03-28, 05:19 AM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]2)
Q. Currently, how many clicks of a mouse does it take a user to find the answer to #1?
My Answer: 2...but they have to know to go to the User Control Panel first in order to find that.

My Answer: 1 click. Just click on the latest post indicator. 2 clicks (one to the forum then one to the latest post button for the thread) if they want to see updates on threads further down. New PMs only take 1 click. We also have RSS feeds. Once your logged into the ACP, it only takes 1 click to check for updates to your MyBB Version.

(2009-03-28, 05:19 AM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't matter how many users out there use MyBB and don't ask for this feature...because probably only 1% of them visit this forum to ask questions...and less than that stay on for multiple posts. How do I get those numbers? You said there are hundreds of thousands of installations out there. That means hundreds of thousands of admins and perhaps a million users. Take 20 thousand (the number of members in this forum) and you have a VERY small percentage of those users and admins out there.

Actually, figures matter a lot. That's how we rank things. Either we can base it on statistics or we can choose features ourselves, or a bit of both. We can't do it any other way because we can't simply implement everything that 4 people ask over the course of several threads. You know and I know that this is impossible to do with a volunteer team.

(2009-03-28, 05:19 AM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]Using this logic, it makes sense to not tout numbers in favor or against this feature and instead, just ask the question...does it make sense? Does it make sense to simplify and enhance the user experience? The answer is yes.

Sure I think that this would be a decent feature to implement, and I have said nothing against that. We however have hundreds of other features that can improve our target audience's experience even more then this. Obviously we want to simplify and enhance things but you have to consider the realities of how we make the implementation process fair for everyone on a limited volunteer basis, with the limited resources we have.

Ryan
(2009-03-29, 07:42 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-03-28, 05:19 AM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]Answer me two questions and I'll let it drop. Answer them honestly without saying "developers should be respected" or "we decide things and it is so because we said so". Saying those things is really a cop out. Instead, answer honestly.

Sure thing. I don't think I give cop-out answers often.

(2009-03-28, 05:19 AM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]1)

My Answer: See new updates (which could be anything relating to a forum software, just a matter of time to implement the features properly)

(2009-03-28, 05:19 AM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]2)

My Answer: 1 click. Just click on the latest post indicator. 2 clicks (one to the forum then one to the latest post button for the thread) if they want to see updates on threads further down. New PMs only take 1 click. We also have RSS feeds. Once your logged into the ACP, it only takes 1 click to check for updates to your MyBB Version.

(2009-03-28, 05:19 AM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't matter how many users out there use MyBB and don't ask for this feature...because probably only 1% of them visit this forum to ask questions...and less than that stay on for multiple posts. How do I get those numbers? You said there are hundreds of thousands of installations out there. That means hundreds of thousands of admins and perhaps a million users. Take 20 thousand (the number of members in this forum) and you have a VERY small percentage of those users and admins out there.

Actually, figures matter a lot. That's how we rank things. Either we can base it on statistics or we can choose features ourselves, or a bit of both. We can't do it any other way because we can't simply implement everything that 4 people ask over the course of several threads. You know and I know that this is impossible to do with a volunteer team.

(2009-03-28, 05:19 AM)devnet Wrote: [ -> ]Using this logic, it makes sense to not tout numbers in favor or against this feature and instead, just ask the question...does it make sense? Does it make sense to simplify and enhance the user experience? The answer is yes.

Sure I think that this would be a decent feature to implement, and I have said nothing against that. We however have hundreds of other features that can improve our target audience's experience even more then this. Obviously we want to simplify and enhance things but you have to consider the realities of how we make the implementation process fair for everyone on a limited volunteer basis, with the limited resources we have.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! I really appreciated you answering these Smile This is a feature I'm REALLY looking forward to...even in a plugin...I'm surprised no one has done it via plugin yet.
Pages: 1 2