MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: egosearch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Subscriptions are great and all, but i would like an egosearch. This is supplied with phpBB, but MyBB does not support it and uses subscriptions instead. I would like users to be able to do an egosearch via a "view my posts" menu link for themselves. (as our forum community is from phpBB, we are not use to subscriptions and want egosearch)

You can get this list of threads manually...but you have to go to search toplink -> search by username -> input your own username -> search button
This redirects you to a url with a specific sid number. It gives you a list of threads in which you posted in. This is different than view posts or view threads. In this list you can scan (knowing each one is a thread you posted to)...and if you see anything other than your username, someone posted to it. Subsrciptions does this in some way...but its kind of a hassle if you are use to egosearch. We want that list link, not a PM or email. 

For the time being a few of us have actually done this search tediosu process to get the url, bookmarked it our browser, and use that when we want to see our egosearch. That seems kind of silly to have to do though for a forum to get a quick link to an egosearch.

Ive tried making this myself. But it seems to just not work out. I tried insert the username into the url, but the sid is not the same a the username string or users uid number. Ive tried javascript in which auto inserts your own username into the username input box, and automate that tedious process, but i am not good with javascript.
You don't use sid when trying to show the user a list of threads. Searches are cleared out every so often in the database. I used to know how long it was, but have forgotten since it has been so long. What you want to do to find your own posts is to have the url go to search.php?action=finduser&uid={$myb->user['uid']}.
Quote:What you want to do to find your own posts is to have the url go to search.php?action=finduser&uid={$myb->user['uid']}.
This is the same as going to the profile and checking "view all posts" right? It is not the same as an ego search.
(2016-09-18, 06:33 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]Subscriptions are great and all, but... we are not use to subscriptions and want egosearch

This is just essential for easily keep track of things and avoid backlogs. Very useful if the forum's purpose is to coordinate and document teamwork, for example. Thank you for bringing up this topic!

(2016-09-20, 01:37 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]... search.php ... action ...
Thank you for hinting where to look at. It is all there what is needed. Cool  Cool

I have written up a short howto in case others like to have this in their forums, too.
Quote:
           <li><a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/search.php?action=finduserthreads&uid={$mybb->user['uid']}">{$lang->welcome_mythreads}</a></li>
            <li><a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/search.php?action=finduser&uid={$mybb->user['uid']}. ">{$lang->welcome_mydiscussions}</a></li>

Neither of those are an egosearch. They are just "Find all posts" and "Find all threads" that you can get from your profile view (or actually anyones). An egosearch consists of all threads that you have posted in, whether you started it or not.

For example if you go to search -> search by username -> input your own username -> search

This list is much different than either of those. This is an egosearch.
(2016-09-21, 01:46 AM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]An egosearch consists of all threads that you have posted in, whether you started it or not.

This list is much different than either of those. This is an egosearch.
Yes, this definition variant of egosearch is useful.
I missed that too, so I looked what can be done to have it.
You might want to look here.  Smile

@dragonexpert

You seem knowledgeable about MyBB. Would appreciate if you can look into my hack linked above and audit it for errors, security holes etc. Thank you Smile
I get an error on the apache logs of...
PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'elseif' (T_ELSEIF) in search.php on line 1200

EDIT:
I tried posting the link in codepad here for search.php, but MyBB has way too sensitive blocking. I cant post the link to it, i cant copy the code and insert it in code tags because there are links in search.php
codepad DOT org / 9OoUXpyb

Can you be more descriptive in what the orange lines are suppose to replace? I reverted to a backup because it broke the entire search.

I mucked it up. I added the if conditions and not replaced them
For someone in the future this is the end result search.php
codepadDOTorg / irYbVI0N

There is one minor snag i noticed. When i went to compare the two lists "my Discussions" and manually went to search -> input my own username. ...that search now fails to pull up the proper search it did before. Is there something regarding the if condition changes that mucked that up?  Im just wondering if the changes to search.php might of screwed up other future searches that should of worked...but might not now.

Above all though most users just use the search links provided, and that was one we used a lot. Now i can turn off those annoying subscriptions and just check this search instead.....thanks again!!!!!

UPDATE:
OK sorry i messed it up. My threads and my discussions are both the same. They are pulling up the same list. My threads i started...not any discussion i am in. ID have to say this is very frustrating. Again i am reverting my search.php to default
I apologize for the inconveniences you had.

Would appreciate if you could check whether the search works if you just download the search.php file to make sure the problems were not possibly caused by an inadvertent editing mistake.
(If this turns out to be the case, just do a diff to find out what mistake exactly happened if you are curious. It could be my mistake as well in case I forgot to highlight one or the other part of the code that needs to be changed.)

I am sure we will get this running on your server!
Thank you very much for your cooperation  Smile
OK so i just downloaded it. However i renamed it something else because i already had modifications to my search.php file

http://python-forum.io/searchegosearch.p...ads2&uid=1

My problem now is i am UID 1, but if you input other UID's, the results reuturns the same list
http://python-forum.io/searchegosearch.p...ds2&uid=10

http://python-forum.io/searchegosearch.p...ds2&uid=15
http://python-forum.io/searchegosearch.p...ds2&uid=20

Which they should only be the same list if all us users posted in those threads, which is not true.