MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMTP, I must be doing something wrong
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to setup email on my MYBB forum via SMTP.

I tried on a fake account to "lost password" to have it send mail but it doesnt. I checked the spam folder. 

my SMTP that i am using is [email protected]

so i would assume i would fill out mail settings as...

But since the mail is not sending i am guessing this is wrong

[attachment=37354]
(2016-09-19, 07:39 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]I am trying to setup email on my MYBB forum via SMTP.

I tried on a fake account to "lost password" to have it send mail but it doesnt. I checked the spam folder. 

my SMTP that i am using is [email protected]

so i would assume i would fill out mail settings as...

But since the mail is not sending i am guessing this is wrong

Why use GMail?  You should consider using your hosting providers SMTP severs.  If the emails are not being sent check the logs to see what went wrong.
Quote:You should consider using your hosting providers SMTP severs.

Isnt that an addition fee. My host is Digital Ocean. 
Quote:If the emails are not being sent check the logs to see what went wrong.
The SMTP server does not support any of the AUTH methods that MyBB supports

I dont really want to play with postfix or sendmail either.

If i changed it to TLS i get 
Quote:The SMTP server rejected the supplied SMTP password. Reason: 534-5.7.14 <https://accounts.google.com/signin/continue?sarp=1&scc=1&plt=AKgnsbvk 534-5.7.14 
But my password is correct

if i go to the provided link, i just log into my account with no new anything.

If i change it to SSL i get:
Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details. Reason: 0:

I guess i just had to login to my gmail and allow the blocked "app" as they call it
https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

I also have it set to TLS
Quote:Google's SMTP server requires authentication, so here's how to set it up:
  1. SMTP server (i.e., outgoing mail): smtp.gmail.com

2. SMTP username: Your full Gmail or Google Apps email address (e.g. [[email protected]][email protected][/email] or[[email protected]][email protected][/email])

3. SMTP password: Your Gmail or Google Apps email password

4. SMTP port: 465

5. SMTP TLS/SSL requiredyes
    In order to store a copy of outgoing emails in your Gmail or Google Apps Sent folder, log into your Gmail or Google Apps email Settings and:

6. Click on the Forwarding/IMAP tab and scroll down to the IMAP Access section: IMAP must be enabled in order for emails to be properly copied to your sent folder.

BUT as told here, consider use the email from your provider, should be in your hosting package.
Gmail has send limit and also "can" have problems with "sendt from" name, (ok, there is a workaround for the last prob)
But your provider email prog should be a better option
Quote:BUT as told here, consider use the email from your provider, should be in your hosting package.
I tried getting postfix and sendmail to work to send php mail,. but coudlnt get it to work. I looked for anything in digital ocean regarding email related, i dont see anything. All i have is a droplet with the LAMP server.
Have you tried doing SMTP via a telnet test or similar to ensure the settings are correct? Try to eliminate one possible issue at a time.
SMTP is working now. I was just wondering about sendmail and postfix