MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Moving from server to server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is there a how to on this subject?

basically am trying to move my forums to a new server and am hoping i dont have to lose anything.
It is very possible to move your MyBB installation to a new server without loosing any data, ensuring you backup your database first.

Once you've made a backup of your database, you can then simply copy your MyBB files onto the new server and restore your database through phpMyAdmin or a similar interface. Remember to update your inc/config.php file with the new details for the database, and also any board changes such as URL or cookie settings that may have changed with the move.
I just had to do this and it was quite simple. I created a tarball of the BB files and uploaded it to the new server and installed it.

Then I closed the current board, so as not to lose any posts during this process. I backed up the database in PHP MyAdmin and restored it on the new server. I edited config.php and adjusted settings and it worked like a charm.

The whole process took less than 1/2 an hour (the board is about 3 months old with just over 10,000 posts). One tip: I set up an .htaccess file on the old server to provide a 301 redirect for any requests to that directory. It works out very well, as search engine results linking to specific threads are automatically redirected to the identical thread on the new server - no loss of data or referrals on search results. (The paths on the two servers are mirrored. The only difference is the TLD)

The only issue I currently have, and am searching the board for a solution to, is the "Server Load" is no longer providing a reading. I don't know what would cause that.
Quote:The only issue I currently have, and am searching the board for a solution to, is the "Server Load" is no longer providing a reading. I don't know what would cause that.

Have you moved to a Windows Server? as that function isn't available on Windows, if not, your new server may have the required function to get the server load disabled.
Chris, thanks for the reply. No, it is a linux box. It is a dedicated server and we have full root access, but knowing where to look for that is out of my league. If someone knows where to check that I am all ears...
As Chris Boulton said on another thread, some server configurations may not allow server load to be read. So it is normal if on some servers you find that the server load is "unknown." It's not an essential part of your forum anyway.