MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [For 1.8] Egosearch - activate an undocumented function of MyBB!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One thing I missed in MyBB is a simple way to show the last discussions I have contributed to. Such an "egosearch" is very useful to avoid discussion backlog.
A discussion about this motivated me to activate this function for my board.

First see here how it looks:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=37359]

Now, how to do this:
First, edit the template header_welcomeblock_member.
Insert two lines (marked red):

Quote:            <li><a href="#" onclick="MyBB.popupWindow('{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/misc.php?action=buddypopup&modal=1', null, true); return false;">{$lang->welcome_open_buddy_list}</a></li>
            <li><a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/search.php?action=finduserthreads&uid={$mybb->user['uid']}">{$lang->welcome_mythreads}</a></li>
            <li><a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/search.php?action=finduser&uid={$mybb->user['uid']}. ">{$lang->welcome_mydiscussions}</a></li>
            <li><a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/search.php?action=getnew">{$lang->welcome_newposts}</a></li>

Then, edit the script inc/languages/english/global.lang.php:
Here also two lines, marked red, need to be added:

Quote:$l['welcome_open_buddy_list'] = "Open Buddy List";
$l['welcome_mythreads'] = "My Threads";
$l['welcome_mydiscussions'] = "My Discussions";
$l['welcome_newposts'] = "New Posts";
$l['welcome_todaysposts'] = "Today's Posts";

// $l['welcome_newposts'] = "View New Posts";
// $l['welcome_todaysposts'] = "View Today's Posts";

$l['welcome_pms'] = "Private Messages";
Note that I also changed two more lines  to reduce screen messiness. Dark blue is the original (included but commented out for comparison). Light blue is the way I changed it to.
Finally, if you use language packs, you'll have to update their global.lang.php accordingly. Just like you just updated the default english one.

You see: Activating egosearch on MyBB is easy as a snap!
Enjoy!
Thanks for the tutorial, but it is already there in MyBB from a long time Smile
https://community.mybb.com/thread-65220.html
Thanks for the link!
I didn't find that thread from 2010 when I searched first.
Anyway that old thread does not offer a solution for multilingual boards, like the solution in this thread does...

Just FYI to anybody who reads this thread.
There is another tutorial [1.8] Keeping track made easy - Egosearch Extreme available now! Smile
It also implements the way phpBB does its egosearch!