MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Where does MyBB define email info
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I initially had my email set to SMTP within MyBB settings, but we didnt like the fact that it came from "metulbot [email protected]" instead of something such as Python Forum [email protected]" or something similar to that.

So i switched it to PHP mail and attempting to get sendmail working.

I dont see the point in buying mail from the domain or host, as all you really need to do is get sendmail/postfix working on the server that runs the forum anyways. And you have the same thing for free.

However i am having trouble getting sendmail to work as expected.

Somehow (in trying to get sendmail working) i re-routing my sendmail to redirect to gmail. So MyBB is sending it via PHP through sendmail, but sendmail is redirecting back to [email protected]

Doing it this way shows from Python Forum <> [email protected]

All I am asking is how to get rid of the empty tags <> in the title? They must be coming from MyBB and not sendmail due to the fact that sendmail has no idea of the string "Python Forum" and that is where the <> tags lie at.
(2016-09-25, 05:28 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]I initially had my email set to SMTP within MyBB settings, but we didnt like the fact that it came from "metulbot [email protected]" instead of something such as Python Forum [email protected]" or something similar to that.

So i switched it to PHP mail and attempting to get sendmail working.

I dont see the point in buying mail from the domain or host, as all you really need to do is get sendmail/postfix working on the server that runs the forum anyways. And you have the same thing for free.

However i am having trouble getting sendmail to work as expected.

Somehow (in trying to get sendmail working) i re-routing my sendmail to redirect to gmail. So MyBB is sending it via PHP through sendmail, but sendmail is redirecting back to [email protected]

Doing it this way shows from Python Forum <> [email protected]

All I am asking is how to get rid of the empty tags <> in the title? They must be coming from MyBB and not sendmail due to the fact that sendmail has no idea of the string "Python Forum" and that is where the <> tags lie at.

I doubt anyone uses GMail for that.  Why is your hosting provider not providing this for free?

Those empty tags do not show up for me (or anyone else for that matter)

Once again, highly recommend not using GMail..
Quote:I doubt anyone uses GMail for that.
I read a lot of people prefer SMTP as opposed to else. Due to spam filters, troubleshooting sendmail, blacklists, etc. In this case Gmail as opposed to others. If i had to choose one or the other i would trust google over anything.

Quote:Why is your hosting provider not providing this for free?
Im using digital ocean for host, and namecheap for domain. The latter charges. And all docs for digital ocean point me to sendmail/postfix, etc. After researching this digital ocean does not provide email hosting. 

Quote:Those empty tags do not show up for me (or anyone else for that matter)
All my emails i get form the forums, have an empty tag in them. Checked with numerous email.