MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Puppet Master 2.1.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
[Image: 3ip8d2G.png]

Download — GitHub

[Image: preview_55383_1475433037_20479676f00d16d...8b0732.png]

Follow WildcardSearch On Twitter for Faster Updates:
[Image: q1W0aFv.png]

Puppet Master allows the administrator to empower certain users as 'puppet masters' . . . meaning they can use other accounts to post, edit, moderate and message on the forums.

Assign any user to be a puppet master and then assign puppet accounts to them and a simple drop-down will be placed in the Quick Reply, New Thread, New Reply, Full Edit and Messaging pages to allow the puppet master to switch accounts.

No logging in or out is done, the post/thread/message is simply assigned to the chosen account.

[Image: preview_55383_1475433164_a50eabfeaea9fc3...1b4595.png]

Resources:

Support
I make no guarantees of support but I will always try. If you need support for this plugin please create a support thread at MyBB forums.

Bugs/Issues

Please report any problems found at the GitHub repository for this project, in this thread or in a new thread on MyBB Community Forums. Although I will answer questions at my own forum, I prefer not to.

Improve Puppet Master!

There is a GitHub repository for this plugin. Ideas and bug reports are welcome there and anyone wanting to collaborate is more than welcome Smile

https://github.com/WildcardSearch/Puppet-Master
reserved
You're on fire! Great job mate.
Whoa, this is awesome. Easy to see how this could be useful.
(2016-10-04, 10:01 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]You're on fire! Great job mate.

Thanks Shade Smile

(2016-10-04, 10:24 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Whoa, this is awesome. Easy to see how this could be useful.

I really appreciate it, Brad.
Does this logs user actions?
Actions are logged by MyBB as usual. The difference is that the actions are attributed to the chosen account, be it the original or a puppet.
Isn't it very unethical to use someone else account to post contents? by that way members start trusting less on the community, because they may fear we will use their accounts to post illegal/unnecessary things.
(2017-02-21, 03:24 PM)Stormyy Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't in very unethical to use someone else account to post contents? by that way members start trusting less on the community, because they may fear we will use their accounts to post illegal/unnecessary things.

This plugin was not created with the intention of using established member's accounts to post, although it can certainly be used for that. I use it to maintain a few puppets, some for moderation (so I can blend in as a regular user, but make modcalls as admin if necessary and so that I and my fellow admin can share that account, which is never logged into and so stays secure). Other accounts are just for fun.

The ethical implications are up to the admin. This plugin uses the permissions system in ACP so that only the users that the admin trusts are allowed to have puppets. Since admin assigns puppets for other users, the puppet masters cannot just target a random user and decide to post on their behalf.

Could Puppet Master be used unethically? Yes, it certainly could. But I am unconcerned with that as I don't build codes of conduct, just plugins.
(2017-02-21, 03:24 PM)Stormyy Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't it very unethical to use someone else account to post contents? by that way members start trusting less on the community, because they may fear we will use their accounts to post illegal/unnecessary things.

I second this comment.

Besides that...

Wouldn't it be easier to create a new usergroup called 'Puppets' and assign users and the necessary permissions to accomplish the same thing?
Pages: 1 2 3 4